Toe kick heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelco

Customer wants a toe kick under the vanity in the bathroom. He said he was told you could not do this per code. While I dont' think this is a good application I can't find a code article dealing with this particular issue.
Would this be a violation?
Shelco

electricmanscott

The customer telling you what is and is not within the scope of the code is kind of funny.
Anyway you do not want an electric toekick heater under there unless you want to cook your feet.

JohnE

I like putting an electric toekick under the vanity, preferably not directly under the sink. I'll use them as supplemental instead of heat/ fan unit in ceiling or instead of wall blower, since both are ugly and I think toekick heater works better. More expensive, though.

shelco

The customer is not telling me what is or is not code. He was told by another electrician and wants to know if it is so or not.

The toe kick is just for supplimental heat not primary.

Very small bath room, about 50 sq ft.

pierre

I also think this is not a bad way to supplement the heat in the bathroom. It helps to keep the floor warm, especially if the bathroom is on grade. There is no NEC code prohibition to this. There may be a local code, call your building department.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have a heater in the ceiling light in my bathroom, and the heat never seems to make it more than halfway down to the floor. I think a floor heater would have been a lot better since the heat would rise from the floor level.

Steve

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Over the years, I've installed my share of toe space heaters.

Just about the only limitations on them, besides having the clear space for the full depth of the heater in the cabinet plinth, relates to the area immediately in front of the heater where the heated air blows.

If the floor covering is vinyl, most heater installation instructions say to run the heater at half power, or, to verify with the vinyl manufacturer the temperature rating of the vinyl. This is where NEC 110.3 might be invoked to say "not allowed by code."

Is the home messy? There is a common sense "don't smother the electric heater with a towel, etc., that could lead another electrician to think the homeowner can't be trusted to responsibly keep the heater clear of obstructions.

Since the heater is supplemental, I can't see any heating code restriction on the installation.

I think the other electrician just didn't like, for what ever reason, the idea of a toe space heater strongly enough that he turned the job down. Blaming "the Code" was the handy excuse.

Matt Harp

I can't find a code against it. I would recommend putting it on a gfci breaker just for safety's sake. Water on the floor, 240V / 30A, wet feet, and turning off the water are not things I would want to bring together.
But with ground faulting, I really like the idea. I might use it in my next house.
Thanks

pierre

We have to stop playing around with Darwin's Theory.... If these people are not fit for survival, Darwin's Theory kicks in, they kick the bucket and the Theory of Evolution continues in the right direction. As of now, us electricians are screwing up the Theory of Evolution and Man as we know him will not evolve properly. Dam ... install that heater will you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.