Tork e101b lighting timer malfuncion

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Hey Guys, I've got a customer that is a shell gas station. He has outside light that total about 65 f32t8 fluorescent fixtures and 10 12 inch led round fixtures. These fixtures are all switched on and off by a tork e101b digital timer. The timer is not working properly, it's not keeping proper time. I've been back and forth 2 times to re-program the timer and I have called tork technical support. tork tells me they think nothing is wrong with the timer but obviously there is. I notice the tork timer is rated 40 amps and today i'm going to meter the timer to measure how many amps the lights are pulling . Do i need a bigger (amps) timer?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Hey Guys, I've got a customer that is a shell gas station. He has outside light that total about 65 f32t8 fluorescent fixtures and 10 12 inch led round fixtures. These fixtures are all switched on and off by a tork e101b digital timer. The timer is not working properly, it's not keeping proper time. I've been back and forth 2 times to re-program the timer and I have called tork technical support. tork tells me they think nothing is wrong with the timer but obviously there is. I notice the tork timer is rated 40 amps and today i'm going to meter the timer to measure how many amps the lights are pulling . Do i need a bigger (amps) timer?

You could need a bigger one but that will not be the reason for the lost time.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Has it been working for a while and recently started to malfunction? Either way that sounds like a large load for 1-40 amp timer. A timer and contactor might be a better choice.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The clock maintaining time and the load capacity are not related.

Are you sure the power to the timer itself is constant and reliable?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've got a customer that is a shell gas station.

Something tells me that maybe the breaker is tripping and you aren't being told that unnecessary little fact. Though it does have a 4 day retention. Could be somebody is playing with it too.

The size of the load would have no effect on it losing time unless the breaker tripped and stayed off for more than 4 days.

-Hal

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
The back-up in this timer is a super capacitor so there's no way to know if that component is healthy. A new timer with a contactor might be in order. With a contactor, the load rating of your timer can be much lower.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No reason you can't measure the load now. Replace the timer, I don't think you are going to find one that will handle more than 40A. What size breaker supplies the circuit?

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.