Torpedo level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most mid grade magnetic torpedoes should be fine. Stabila seems like a waste of money when dealing with leveling an 8" span, and I'd be too nervous carrying around something too pricey in my pouch.

Too easy to drop IMO , but maybe I'm just overly clumsy

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Swanson Savage is exactly the same as Klein but half the price at lowes, both have the strong earth magnets

Ace18

What is the notched out section on the end of the Greenlee used for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What is the notched out section on the end of the Greenlee used for?

Not the round cut out in the center, the small one on the end that looks like it has a laser lens in it.
Not sure it's there for any certain end-user purpose. What appears in the image as a laser lens is a plug for the hole where the adjacent vial gets inserted. I think it's notched because the vial is wider than the end of the torpedo

PetrosA

I have a Stabila torpedo level, but since I downsized my tool pouch, I don't carry it with me all the time. What I do carry, and really love, is the Stabila Pocket Level. It clips onto my pouch's belt and is always there, it can be used under sinks to level boxes, it has strong magnets, a pipe groove and it's as accurate as my four foot level. The only real minus is it doesn't have any angle vial or stick to PVC ;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have a Craftsman level that I loved. One end got smashed from a near fatal fall, so I have it in the house now. A great feature for levels would be parachutes.

The Craftsman is an inspector's level and has the grade in 1/8" per foot inclines marked with lines on the vial. So level is '0' which is the first mark on the left. To be level, the bubble lines up on the left, not in the center. I loved it when people asked me if they could borrow my level.......then brought it back because they couldn't figure out how to use it.

I have found that <$20 levels work fine for what we do and it's not so heartbreaking to watch a cheap one fall a couple stories down and crash on the concrete.

Right now the big selling point is the magnets.

north star

~ & ~ & ~

I agree with
**K8MHZ** on the Craftsman 12" level.
It is the only level that I found that had the actual
gradients on it [ i.e. - 1/8", ...1/4", ...etc. ], plus it is
very affordable..........Most torpedo type levels are
only 9" in length, while the Craftsman is a true 12".

I've had more than one plumber to groan whenever I
pulled my Craftsman out and started checking their
pipe slopes. :D

spin_prod_206216501

~ & ~ & ~

E16

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I'm looking for a good torpedo level. Stabila is too expensive. I'm trying to decide between Checkpoint, which is the same as Greenlee, and Swanson Savage, which is the same as the Klein.

http://www.greenlee.com/products/LEVEL%40cTORPEDO-(L107)-(POP)%40..html

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...src=17588969&gclid=CK-6rems6cICFcvm7AodTVYAeA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Stabila and a cheap level from H.D. I use the Stabila when running larger pipe 2" and up. And I use my cheap level when bending small pipe's like in walls or above ceilings. Something I can drop and not worry about.

I do like the Greenlee level if you are a person that is bending large pipe. The level with the screw on the end is for bending offsets, so you do not get a dog leg in the pipe, works great. But they do make just no do levels also that are much smaller. Just depends what you do most of the time. In our company we all had to be able to run anything from 1/2" to 4"!!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have a Stabila torpedo level, but since I downsized my tool pouch, I don't carry it with me all the time. What I do carry, and really love, is the Stabila Pocket Level. It clips onto my pouch's belt and is always there, it can be used under sinks to level boxes, it has strong magnets, a pipe groove and it's as accurate as my four foot level. The only real minus is it doesn't have any angle vial or stick to PVC ;)

these are excellent. i pooh poohed stabila until i bought one.

the coolest thing i've found is the stabila laser target.
gives a readout in 1/16" increments.

http://www.amazon.com/Stabila-DE-TE...qid=1419948245&sr=8-23&keywords=stabila+laser

the level that i use the most is the U level for conduit bending.
http://www.amazon.com/CHECKPOINT-06...&qid=1419947981&sr=1-1&keywords=checkpoint+u6

Status
Not open for further replies.