torquing ques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

See the FPN to Section 110.14 - Electrical Connections

FYI: First Revision #40 to the 2017 NEC will include mandatory language for tightening torque in a new Section 110.14(D):

110.14(D) Installation:
Where a tightening torque is indicated as a numeric value on equipment or in installation instructions
provided by the manufacturer, a calibrated torque tool shall be used to achieve the indicated torque value,
unless the equipment manufacturer has provided installation instructions for an alternative method of
achieving the required torque.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
See the FPN to Section 110.14 - Electrical Connections

FYI: First Revision #40 to the 2017 NEC will include mandatory language for tightening torque in a new Section 110.14(D):

110.14(D) Installation:
Where a tightening torque is indicated as a numeric value on equipment or in installation instructions
provided by the manufacturer, a calibrated torque tool shall be used to achieve the indicated torque value,
unless the equipment manufacturer has provided installation instructions for an alternative method of
achieving the required torque.

Would an adjustable torque wrench qualify as a 'calibrated torque tool' ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Would an adjustable torque wrench qualify as a 'calibrated torque tool' ?
It'd qualify for the torque tool part.

I know what "calibrated" means in the places I work, but to just put that term in there without some other criteria is going to initiate a fair amount of speculation.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It'd qualify for the torque tool part.

I know what "calibrated" means in the places I work, but to just put that term in there without some other criteria is going to initiate a fair amount of speculation.

Yes, in some places calibrated means that it has numbers on it for reference. In other places it also implies that the numbers are accurate.
In the general instrumentation sense, calibrated depends on the standards for the equipment involved and whether it meets its published accuracy specifications.
Re-calibrating, on the other hand, may also involve making it meet those standards again.

Status
Not open for further replies.