Touchscreens in walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Young

Hello, I work for a manufacturer of custom installed audio and video products and are running into a lot of conflicting information about the requirements for LV. We sell LV products that accept Ethernet and 16/4 LV that are mounted in walls, typically against studs.

I have a range of questions from:
  • if we want to certify our own enclosures for our products as plenum rated, is there a definitive resource for those requirements?
  • What are the major LV differences in requirements for walls vs. ceilings?
  • We've heard that NYC and Chicago have unique and strict LV requirements, how true is this?
I don't need direct answers to these questions (although appreciated!), but if you can point me to a resource that we can use to validate what we actually need to fulfill?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The information you need would come from UL. Certification or listing would come from them or any of the other nationally recognized testing lab after submission of product samples to them. You would not "certify" them yourself.

As for NYC and Chicago, I can't vouch for Chicago but I don't believe NYC has different requirements for a product such as yours, but again the UL requirements would be the reference.

-Hal

The Chicago Electrical Code requires all LV to be in conduit. This includes, but not limited to, fire alarms, burgler alarms, catv, phone, data, etc.

Chicago also has an "approval" process as well. You should be able to contact the cities electrical department for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.