Toxic gas detectors

mehdi1351

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My company is going to build a plant in Texas and we are not very familiar with US compliance requirement in the field of "Toxic gas detection".
In part of the plant Chlorine gas will be generated and we have a chlorine scrubber to take the released gas and extract it via dual redundant extraction fan, meanwhile we will install Chlorine gas detectors to detect any Chlorine gas released from the reactors/ scrubber, just in case.
Now, I need to know:
1- Are the Chlorine gas sensors and controller shall be UL listed to UL2075?
2- Except local alarm (flashing and beacon) and safety alarm on HMI, is there any other executive action mandates by US regulation and/or insurance companies in US?

Thanks

Macbeth

Occupation
Automation
Yes!!
UL2075 is a must for.... All components sensor, lights, ect..
for the control panel it must be UL2017
There are no other options..

Your control panels can not be UL508a..

mehdi1351

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes!!
UL2075 is a must for.... All components sensor, lights, ect..
for the control panel it must be UL2017
There are no other options..

Your control panels can not be UL508a..
Thanks for the reply.
Just wondering to know whether there is any special consideration in design ,construct and fabricate Panels with UL2017 comparing to UL508a?
I mean as manufacturer/system integration point of view, what special precaution they have do to focus to build a panel comply with UL2017 comparing to UL508a?
Is that mean I have to pay more to the fabricator to get Panel comply to UL2017 comparing to UL508a?

Macbeth

Occupation
Automation
We are currently into a go around with UL on this subject. , just a different chemical.. Your chemical is why more deadly than mine..

UL508a is a verification on component compliance, they verify components are electrically safe for operation. there are no function/operation testing done. This can be done at site using any NRTL certified company. This takes less than a day, if all goes well.. at about <5k per panel..
UL2017 verifies operation and function on a per panel baises. You submit the panel to UL for function testing testing. They will then return it to you. This is 15-20k.. (I am in this loop right now, takes about a year).

Workaround..
If you don't label your field wiring diagram point as "Toxic Gas Detection" and instead label it as "Sensor Monitor #1" and the system is not connected to "Life Safety Equipment" (Fire Alarm) your panel as UL508a is fine. provided the sensor is not physically mounted or shipped connected by Factory wire whip, to the control panel.

However if the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) local municipality Requires the UL2017 then your stuck..

1.18 Emergency alarm equipment or control panels containing emergency alarm equipment are covered by the Standard for General-Purpose Signaling Devices and Systems, UL 2017.
1.19 Equipment for gas or vapor detection or control panels containing gas or vapor detection equipment is covered by the Standard for Gas and Vapor Detectors and Sensors, UL 2075.

h) Gas or vapor detection equipment intended for connection to emergency alarm equipment, and emergency alarm control equipment containing or having connections to sensors or initiating devices to monitor, detect harmful concentrations of a gas or vapor (such as carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), or refrigerants) and/or activate emergency alarm equipment for life safety evacuation purposes, see L68. Such equipment or assemblies of equipment containing these devices is evaluated to UL2075 and covered under category “Gas and Vapor Detectors and Sensors” (FTAM), or evaluated to UL2017 and covered under the category “Emergency Alarm System Control Units” (FSZI) or “Emergency Alarm System Accessories” (FSYE);

L68) Gas Detection Panels: An industrial control panel and any schematic wiring diagrams or drawings provided with the panel shall not be marked with information pertaining to use with or connections to smoke detectors, fire alarms, central station alarms, gas or vapor detection sensors or initiating devices.