Track Lighting Current Limiting Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Again, Art. 220 is titled Branch Circuit, Feeder and Service Load Calculations. The methods and numbers given are used to calculate minimum branch circuit, feeder and service sizes. Nothing is intended to indicate actual maximum overcurrent protection for a particular circuit or device. So Art. 220 has nothing to do with what you are asking. In practice, just like a circuit of receptacles, you can load a lighting track until the breaker pops. Perfectly acceptable (but not a good idea.)

Now, as pointed out, there are energy codes that try to limit the number and wattage of heads used with track lighting since they can be user installed and God forbid someone wants more light. One method is current limiting track feeds used to feed each track. Apparently also a panel for that purpose. But the problem here is that you will have to know what the current to each track (per foot) must be limited to and that will be in the energy code, NOT necessarily that given in Art 220.

BUT FIRST I would want to know if NYC even has an energy code that covers this. Like I said, I don't think this lighting designer knows what he's talking about.

-Hal

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
And I just looked. From the 2020 NYC ECC:

For lighting track, cable conductor, rail conductor, and plug- in busway systems that allow the addition and relocation of
luminaires without rewiring, the wattage shall be one of the following:
1. The specified wattage of the luminaires, but not less than 8 W per linear foot (25 W/lin m).
2. The wattage limit of the permanent current-limiting devices protecting the system.
3. The wattage limit of the transformer supplying the system.

So IMO no current limiting is needed.

-Hal

Grouch1980

And I just looked. From the 2020 NYC ECC:

So IMO no current limiting is needed.

-Hal
what section did you find this in? I'm doing a word search for 'lighting track' and this does not appear. I'm in Chapter C4, Commercial Energy Efficiency, but this doesn't come up in a word search.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I have installed these before.
We use what is called silver bullet.
We use branch circuits from our panel board to the silver bullet than to contactors. Than the energy management can control the lighting.
This will reduce you demand on the feeder.
This also keep the tenant from over loading the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.