Track Lighting in Clothes Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the proper clearances are met is lighting track installed above the closet door with enclosed LED heads permitted in a clothes closet?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If the track is made to accept a variety of different fixtures, and some of those are naked lamps, I'd say no.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I tend to agree but what specific wording in the NEC would say that?

It is not in 410.151(C). I guess the same wording that won't allow a keyless in a clothes closet that has an enclosed led bulb--:D

(C) Locations Not Permitted. Lighting track shall not be
installed in the following locations:
(1) Where likely to be subjected to physical damage
(2) In wet or damp locations
(3) Where subject to corrosive vapors
(4) In storage battery rooms
(5) In hazardous (classified) locations
(6) Where concealed
(7) Where extended through walls or partitions
(8) Less than 1.5 m (5 ft) above the finished floor except
where protected from physical damage or track operating
at less than 30 volts rms open-circuit voltage
(9) Where prohibited by 410.10(D)

mwm1752

some MR-16 lamps are enclosed with a face cover which would seem to be allowed a a lamp -- The suggestion that LED light source is similar to the hot filament falling on clothes theory is only reflected in wording incandescent with LED clearances in 410.16 --

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see track lighting specifically listed as not permitted. If the lamp is fully enclosed should the light source type even matter?

410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets.
(A) Luminaire Types Permitted. Only luminaires of the
following types shall be permitted in a closet:
(1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with completely enclosed light sources
(2) Surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaires
(3) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires identified as suitable for installation within the closet storage space
(B) Luminaire Types Not Permitted. Incandescent luminaires with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant
luminaires or lampholders shall not be permitted.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If the proper clearances are met is lighting track installed above the closet door with enclosed LED heads permitted in a clothes closet?

If the closet ceiling is high enough that packages or boxes on the closet shelf could tip down and on top of the horizontally extended track fixtures, I'd submit that the track lighting assembly is not physically protected and that 410.151(C)(1) prohibits the installation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the closet ceiling is high enough that packages or boxes on the closet shelf could tip down and on top of the horizontally extended track fixtures, I'd submit that the track lighting assembly is not physically protected and that 410.151(C)(1) prohibits the installation.

So it's not specifically prohibited and is a judgement call as to whether or not is will likely be subject to damage.

410.151(C)Locations Not Permitted. Lighting track shall not be
installed in the following locations:
(1) Where likely to be subjected to physical damage

Status
Not open for further replies.