Track Lighting suspended ceiling

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you have to tie up track lighting above suspended ceilings To deck?
Already screw to grid Seems a waste of chain

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Generally, the requirement to "tie up" the fixture to the building structure and not just the grid; is for emergency personnel so as they "knock down" grid to get to a fire, the lighting fixture don't also come down. This can be particularly dangerous if fixture was to strike the personnel or and is energized, this can lead to open energized wiring sparking all over. Also can be a requirement for area experiencing earth quakes (Jersey is now one) so the it would secure the fixture to the structure, preventing same hazardous issues. Can be accomplished as simple as suggested by @letgomywago by securing the fixture box to the structure.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
I have always directly connected all lighting via rod to the deck above, unless it's designed to lay on top of the grid (troffers). I have never seen track lighting supported by the grid itself.
Locally, as Fred above says, it's against code, for emergency personnel.

farmantenna

does NJ have a 410 amendment regarding this? I don't believe my state's amendment regarding this subject would require it. I'd still use the Caddy clips that fasten to the grid with a support hole above the grid and support them.
410.36(B)