Track lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheeinc

When it comes to track lighting in a retail space can someone tell me where to find in the code that you cant put more that twenty feet of track per circuit

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is for feeder calculations not to limit the length or number of fixtures
You asked about the length of the track. Art. 410.151 and on is for tracks. Check the footnote in 410.151(B). There is no limit in the 2008 code

Last edited:

jheeinc

220.43 is not intended to limit the number of feet or number of heads it sole purpose is for the load calculations of feeders and service 2005 handbook

In NY we are still going by 2005 for commercial and 2002 for residential

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well I am not sure what you are looking for because you started this thread a day or 2 ago. What specifically are you looking for.

In the 2005 code read section XV of article 410.

The '08 has a FPN that was not in the '05

FPN: The load calculation in 220.43(B) does not limit the length of track on a single branch circuit, and it does not limit the number of luminaires on a single track.

jheeinc

What I am asking is if there is a limit to the amount of feet you can put on a 20 amp circuit
My example has to do with a retail store we are doing. When it comes to national chains stores the prints are basically all the same except for dimensions. The last 3 stores we completed the elect. eng. called out for a current limiter panel. The stores have about 400 feet of track mostly all not more than 8 foot long. This store we are working on the eng. has not installed a panel on the prints. The inpector told us we can not put more than 16 feet on a circuit and we would have to add circuits to the panel. They eng. will not approve a CO and I believe the inspector is right but I cant find the correct wording in the 2005.

jheeinc

Yes I did But that has to do with feeder calculation not branch circuit. I Know that you are trying to help and I am greatfull. Just when you think the code has answered your question there seems to always be another part that tells you differently. Has any one else ran into this problem

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes I did But that has to do with feeder calculation not branch circuit. I Know that you are trying to help and I am greatfull. Just when you think the code has answered your question there seems to always be another part that tells you differently. Has any one else ran into this problem

The FPN is not for feeder calculations. It is saying that the length of track is not limited by the calculation for the load of the branch cir. The FPN states that this does not mean the lengh of track or the number of fixtures are limited. The FPN was put in to clarify.

2005 NEC said:
art. 410.101(B) Connected Load. The connected load on lighting track shall not exceed the rating of the track. Lighting track shall be supplied by a branch circuit having a rating not more than that of the track.

If you look at a Halo track it states that the
Solid copper bus bars [cross section equivalent to #12 AWG wire].

Thus a #12 20 amp circuit is all that is permitted. This protects the track should someone connect a load beyond it's capacity. It does not limit the length of the track. I can run 100' of track and have 5 fixtures on it with 100 watt bulbs and there is no issue.

Ask the inspector what he is concerned about if the track is rated 20 amps and you are protecting the circuit with a 20 amp CB and #12 wire. Or 15 amps and #14 wire for that matter. If the owner adds too many tracks the cir. will blow.

I will say this, IMO, if the track heads can take a 150 watt bulb and you put in 50 watt bulbs you would still need to calculate the circuit based on the 150 watt lamps.

Also ask the inspector to show you where the track is limited in length. He will not be able to.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The FPN is not for feeder calculations. It is saying that the length of track is not limited by the calculation for the load of the branch cir. The FPN states that this does not mean the lengh of track or the number of fixtures are limited. The FPN was put in to clarify.

If you look at a Halo track it states that the

Thus a #12 20 amp circuit is all that is permitted. This protects the track should someone connect a load beyond it's capacity. It does not limit the length of the track. I can run 100' of track and have 5 fixtures on it with 100 watt bulbs and there is no issue.

Ask the inspector what he is concerned about if the track is rated 20 amps and you are protecting the circuit with a 20 amp CB and #12 wire. Or 15 amps and #14 wire for that matter. If the owner adds too many tracks the cir. will blow.

I will say this, IMO, if the track heads can take a 150 watt bulb and you put in 50 watt bulbs you would still need to calculate the circuit based on the 150 watt lamps.

Also ask the inspector to show you where the track is limited in length. He will not be able to.

Well said Dennis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.