TRACKED SKID MOUNTED GENERATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweary5

I currently have a mobile skid unit on metallic tracks; with a generator(480v-wye) and aircompressor mounted. The skid has transformers of all sorts,distribution/control panels with plc and servo drives. Grounding is important for a number of reasons. The skid currently powers a piece ofequipment that is used for pipe line rehabilitation and it travels on top of the pipe. The skid travels with the equipment along the pipeline. I?m currently using two grounding reels with 6? portable augergrounding rods along the travel for a continuous ground. Are there any other grounding solutions to manage a mobile skid unit that travels withits equipment? Can the track be used as grounding source to eliminate the use of the grounding rods? Please advise...

Thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I currently have a mobile skid unit on metallic tracks; with a generator(480v-wye) and aircompressor mounted. The skid has transformers of all sorts,distribution/control panels with plc and servo drives. Grounding is important for a number of reasons. The skid currently powers a piece ofequipment that is used for pipe line rehabilitation and it travels on top of the pipe. The skid travels with the equipment along the pipeline. I?m currently using two grounding reels with 6? portable augergrounding rods along the travel for a continuous ground. Are there any other grounding solutions to manage a mobile skid unit that travels withits equipment? Can the track be used as grounding source to eliminate the use of the grounding rods? Please advise...

Thanks

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just had to say this is way cool. I've never heard of such a thing before. Learn something new every day.

Haji

Banned
jweary5:
I believe the skid, the equipment mounted on it including the metallic tracks form a system. All metal parts on the skid to be bonded together. The neutral of the power supply to be connected at one point on the system, which is 'grounded' by the metallic tracks. The equipment grounding conductor to be taken from this point to the grounding terminals of equipment.
You may also engage a PE to work out the design for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.