Tragic Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

Such a trajic story http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/1...ina-girl-electrocuted-while-swimming-in-pool/ Not much to evaluate within the description but I would be interested in theroies. I would start by evaluating the equipotential plane if any. Parking lot lighting voltage which wire broke. Wonder if the lifeguards had dove at her taking both into the pool might have left them without a potential difference giving them time to shut the power off. Prayers to the family.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Such a trajic story http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/1...ina-girl-electrocuted-while-swimming-in-pool/ Not much to evaluate within the description but I would be interested in theroies. I would start by evaluating the equipotential plane if any. Parking lot lighting voltage which wire broke. Wonder if the lifeguards had dove at her taking both into the pool might have left them without a potential difference giving them time to shut the power off. Prayers to the family.

Copied from another thread....

Originally Posted by ggunn
So what about the case of the electrocuted girl? Would bonding the water have prevented the accident from occurring?
Very hard to tell from a Faux News story, but possibly not.
My SWAG is that the wire hit a parking lot drain and energized the whole pool drain system (not properly bonded!) That raised the water to the level of the fault voltage. A conductive pool shell almost certainly would have helped. A water bond close to the ladder might have helped.
A proper bond between the ladder and the water supply and drain piping almost certainly would have prevented the tragedy with or without a water bond.
The water bond really only comes into play when the plumbing is all non-conductive and a single live conductor falls into the pool. It will take a low impedance ground to trigger any OCPD, and it will take good bonding to prevent the touch potential.

The lifeguard who told the swimmers to get out of the pool made the biggest error in judgement, but cannot really be blamed for that.
I strongly suspect that when all is said and done, it will be determined that the bonding (not including water bonding) at the pool was incorrect originally or had failed
All that from little or no information, of course.
Additional: If the lifeguards had been able to push her away from the ladder with a non-conductive pole, she might have survived. For the lifeguards to actually get into the water under the circumstances could easily have killed them too, since they would have been in the circuit from the water through her to the ladder.
Had it not been for touching the ladder, she would have been OK in the water unless she came too close to the point where the current was entering the pool. And that location is unknown.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
We may never know, but the details on the equipotential bonding grid or lack thereof would be most interesting.

kwired

Electron manager

Nowhere in that article does it say what the broken line supplied or give any other details of the broken line. If it were low voltage parking lot lighting it likely doesn't have any impact on people in the pool. My guess is it was medium voltage line and all bets are off as to where current paths may go. There likely was issues with bonding items in and around the pool to make things worse.

Was the pool water bonded? Chances are it was via pumps, heaters, other similar items. This appears to be a commercial pool, I would guess the chances of pump housings being non metallic are not that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.