Trailer park

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have an existing 34 lot trailer park that needs all new power and metering. My plan is to have 3 separate meter banks in the park with new feeds to each lot as they update trailers.
I have no new trailers yet to use for calculating loads and I don’t want to be undersized. I think the trailers will all have electric water heaters, electric stoves and AC.
Has anyone done a RV park recently and what kind of power requirements did the new trailers have.
This is not a travel trailer or RV park.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have an existing 34 lot trailer park that needs all new power and metering. My plan is to have 3 separate meter banks in the park with new feeds to each lot as they update trailers.
I have no new trailers yet to use for calculating loads and I don’t want to be undersized. I think the trailers will all have electric water heaters, electric stoves and AC.
Has anyone done a RV park recently and what kind of power requirements did the new trailers have.
This is not a travel trailer or RV park.

If this is not an RV park why are you asking if anyone has done an RV park recently?
I would look in 550 and plan for the most load just to cover yourself.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have seen mobile home parks that have a meter on each lot for service. You are putting up (3) banks of 11-12 meters?

Is this your design or what the PoCo wants?

Yes, 3 meter banks. The poco has given me a few options but the 3 meter bank location works best. They are going to set three poles down the roadway and feed them.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
If this is not an RV park why are you asking if anyone has done an RV park recently?
I would look in 550 and plan for the most load just to cover yourself.

I should have clarified, it’s not a typical RV park with trailers coming and going. They are more of a park model, I think is the term.
I haven’t seen a new park model but want to assume it’s like a small apartment, just wanted to see if anyone has worked on one recently.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just off the top of my head I would say that:

* Park models are designed to be permanent, not movable, therefore they should be treated like a single family residence.
* The minimum service allowed to a single family residence is 100 amps.
* Park models are small and I don't believe they would require any more than 100 amps (assuming no instant water heaters).
* I see lots of trailer parks and 100 amps is typical, however I have seen larger services installed when the lots are individually owned.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
That is what the NEC is there for. Read articles 550 and 551, specifically the first paragraph, scope. I assume you will be able to define which of the two articles you fall under, but I am pretty sure you are talking about 550. Either way, loads and demand load requirements for calculations are included in each of those sections.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor

* Park models are designed to be permanent, not movable, therefore they should be treated like a single family residence.
* Park models are small and I don't believe they would require any more than 100 amps (assuming no instant water heaters).
* I see lots of trailer parks and 100 amps is typical, however I have seen larger services installed when the lots are individually owned.

Thank you. That makes sense, they are more of a permanent thing and since they don’t have any new ones to go off I’m going to assume they are like a small house that runs electric stoves, hot water and ac.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Seems to me a meter bank in this case is easier for the meter reader, but costs a lot more, because you have to run home-run feeds to each individual trailer, instead of one feed for a 'street' with multiple taps.

oldsparky52

Yes, 3 meter banks. The poco has given me a few options but the 3 meter bank location works best. They are going to set three poles down the roadway and feed them.

I'm sure the PoCo is thrilled with this setup. They just have the wiring to your meter banks to maintain, the rest is on you. :)

How far would it be to the farthest unit? I'm assuming you would feed a W/P disconnect and then run the service to the home? IDK.

Are you going underground or overhead?

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm sure the PoCo is thrilled with this setup. They just have the wiring to your meter banks to maintain, the rest is on you. :)

How far would it be to the farthest unit? I'm assuming you would feed a W/P disconnect and then run the service to the home? IDK.

Are you going underground or overhead?

They are, but as it is now there are a bunch of small sheds around the property that have meters in them all fed from a large panel at the edge of the property. The poco doesn’t do anything there except the metering, but as the sheds are fed with 2 pole 100’s they constantly trip in the summer due to the ac and the winter because everyone runs space heaters to save on propane, and they call the poco first. It’s all direct burial cable everywhere, from the main panel to the sheds and out from there to each trailer.
The plan for the new units is to run conduit to each spot from the meters and hit a disco at each spot, max length to furthest trailer will be under 150’ .
Id like to have 4 meter bank locations but there is no room.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Seems to me a meter bank in this case is easier for the meter reader, but costs a lot more, because you have to run home-run feeds to each individual trailer, instead of one feed for a 'street' with multiple taps.

It will be easier for them but there is just no room to put more locations.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

To you and the original poster. Read article 550. They should NOT be treated as a single family residences. They should be treated as the structures that the code defines them as.

construct

And they may or may not even qualify as mobile homes or RV's.

Yes, they are kind of in between. They are regulated by the RV Industry Association (RVIA). In 2012, that association named them PMRV's (Park Model RV). Their construction is regulated by NFPA 1192, ANSI/RVIA Standard, and Article 552 of the 2017 NEC.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
To you and the original poster. Read article 550. They should NOT be treated as a single family residences. They should be treated as the structures that the code defines them as.
I think he was referring to load requirements. They have all the loads of a regular house and are full time occupied, they just have wheels under them.

kwired

Electron manager
And they may or may not even qualify as mobile homes or RV's.

But manufactured homes are considered mobile homes.

Yes, they are kind of in between. They are regulated by the RV Industry Association (RVIA). In 2012, that association named them PMRV's (Park Model RV). Their construction is regulated by NFPA 1192, ANSI/RVIA Standard, and Article 552 of the 2017 NEC.

The structure should have a data plate

Status
Not open for further replies.