Training

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
What kind of training could you offer Apprentice or Journeyman? Is being an electrician a self motivating career/ trade. I attended apprenticeship school. I enjoyed learning things I would have never learned in the field but most of the guys in the field dont get to do that. Most guys are field trained in one area or another and sometimes repeditive work but that only goes so far. Im just looking for advice on how everyone keeps their crews motivated and up to date on everyday electrical work and whats offered by employeer

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
In Michigan they require a approved apprenticeship program with in class training. I think most unions offer these programs but mine was done through a community college the my employer paid for.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
In Michigan they require a approved apprenticeship program with in class training. I think most unions offer these programs but mine was done through a community college the my employer paid for.
Before state took over examination some cities required 40hrs or so of class time to be eligible for exam in their city. Unions do provide a good amount of training but even that requires a willingness to learn. I tell my crew I can teach you but I cant learn for you. My first year in school we had around 100 people in class, 4 years later around 20 graduated. I guess Learning is a decision not a feeling someone has.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I did the 4 year apprenticeship in NC. Classes 2 nights a week. I liked the mixed classroom & OJT. Classroom for theory, history, formulas, etc. Field for seeing how it all fits together. Sometimes I would go to class and ask questions about something we had done that day & vice versa.