Transfer switch built into meter housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I went to the Seattle Home Show yesterday. One product on display was a transfer switch (i.e., from utility to generator and back) that you install somewhere in the middle of the meter housing. It looked like a "stretch limo"; there was a cylinder about 6 inches long and just slightly less in diameter than the meter itself, with the meter being installed at the end of this "stretch" section.

I took a photo, and will try to post it tomorrow.

The local electrical utility had the booth that displayed this product, and there was a sign that stated how much safer it would be to use than other transfer mechanisms. The sign also stated that you could use any device in the house, up to the limit of your generator.

The product had a place to connect a cord from the portable generator. The transfer would take place automatically, both on loss of utility power (once the generator was connected and powered up) and on return of utility power. I don't know whether it switched the neutral, and I don't know how it is wired internally.

Anyone seen one of these? Anyone have any comments?

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Re: Transfer switch built into meter housing

Charlie:

I assume it is SE rated (?) Was there a main in the scheme somewhere ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

I left the brochure at home. But I have to presume it is SE rated. My understanding is that you take an existing meter setup, and install the transfer switch between the meter face and the base (not sure I have the correct terms there). So if the main disconnect was part of the meter setup, it still is. If the main disconnect is somewhere else, this doesn't change its location or its wiring.

DuganC5

I sell industrial standby power systems but also a little residential.

That setup does not sound very good IMHO. You're leaving it up to the home owner to decide what circuits to leave on/off. The average homeowner is going to plug in his generator and then just leave all the breakers on and hope for the best. With many people buying those small 5-7kW portables I can see a lot of overloaded generators.

The best setup is either a stationary genset with enough capacity to handle the whole house tied into a service entrance ATS behind the meter; or if the genset isn't big enough, use one of those ATS's with the built-in 12 circuit emergency panel and wire the circuits you want to backup to that.

sandsnow

This item has been presented here before. Maybe it was at ECN.

It did not switch the neutral. You did need to make a connection inside the meter socket.

Dual jurisdicton here. POCO and AHJ

I don't remember much more.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Hi CB
There is a seattle company that is trying to market a meter transfer switch. I've helped them a bit with some code proposals. It really has to be OK by the utility and the AHJ.
I recall a post about one that is being made in the southern US.

What utility was it?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Here is the photo I took at the home show:

Here is their web site: GenerLink

Tom: I think it might have been PSE. But, once again, I left the brochure at home.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Interesting device. I wonder how many POCO's have signed on to use it.

The only drawback I saw was that it was only rated for 7.2 kW continuous load. I guess in an emergency situation, we could all limp along on that, but the promo material makes it sound like you can run anything you want.

Their website says that you can do all of this "without the hassle of calling an electrician." :mad:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by bdarnell: Their website says that you can do all of this "without the hassle of calling an electrician." :mad:
Without reading through their web site to see this in context, let me presume that they mean you don't have to call an electrician to connect your generator, after the utility power is lost. That would be no different from a more common transfer panel. You call an electrician to install the GenerLink, or you call an electrician to install the transfer switch. But once those things are in place, you can hook up your own generator (i.e., plug it into its receptacle) by yourself.

sandsnow

I would be very surprised if our POCO would make that grounded conductor connection behind the meter.

Wasn't somebody checking to see if these were listed???

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

I think what they mean is, you can have this device installed by your local POCO without getting an electrician involved, in lieu of installing a transfer switch, panel, rewiring, etc., etc.

As I said, interesting, and it may have some merit and practical application. It's limited to 7.2 kW continuous and I only saw a 200 amp model, but those don't seem to be serious limitations.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Originally posted by sandsnow:
Wasn't somebody checking to see if these were listed???
Apparently, they are listed. Check their home page. You can clearly see the UL tag in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.