transfer switch

jabschc

Occupation
electrical contractor
I have a generac RXSW200A3 transfer switch. The customer wants it mounted inside, recessed in a 2x6 wall finished with sheetrock. It will protrude out a 1/2" from the sheetrock when finished to access cover. Inspector said this is not allowable because it does not have factory knockouts and a flush mount cover. The installation manual states it can be inside, but must be mounted vertically to a rigid structure. Closest I can find in code is 314.20 Flush Mounted installation...shall not be set back more than 1/4" , shall extend to finished surface or extend past. Figured it would come down to manufacturer listing, but nothing out right allows or prohibits it. 2020 code cycle. Thoughts?

jabschc

Occupation
electrical contractor
no citation, just said that particular model is not allowed. Had some other violations that I successfully argued on, but just said that it's definitely not allowed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Definitely not allowed due to what code section? Unless this is a fire rated wall what difference does it make if its recessed?

jabschc

Occupation
electrical contractor
Definitely not allowed due to what code section? Unless this is a fire rated wall what difference does it make if its recessed?
No code reference. Only thing I can figure is they said generac makes one with a flush cover, that has the 20/40 breaker slots under it. So I'm guessing they just aren't sure and since they make another one for this application, that this one is not permitted. Again just speculating. Wanted to get some information together before really pressing the issue.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is one thing that may have a bearing on part of the issue.
I recently installed a non-service rated Generac TS and was surprised that it has no dead-front. It has the outer 3R cover with thumbscrew but no interior cover. I contacted my Generac dealer and found that is the standard for that switch and they (Generac) have a letter explaining why as there have been rejections on that issue.

This was the reply:
The UL1008 Standard for Transfer Equipment does not require a dead front cover on transfer equipment is not equipped with a readily accessible disconnecting means. The UL 1008 Standard does require that the live parts be guarded against unintentional contact, and this is accomplish with the transfer equipment enclosure cover on non-service rated transfer equipment. Please note that Generac does not manufacture a dead front cover for any model of non-service rated transfer equipment, and the field installation of a dead cover on any listed non-service rated transfer equipment would be considered a field modification by UL. I have included a letter from the Generac Director of Engineering, Transfer Switches on the UL 1008 requirements and a copy of the UL certificate of Compliance for Generac manufactured optional standby transfer equipment.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I installed a pair of them above a air of 200a panels that way with no problems.

No cables showed at all, and I applied trim around both of them, very clean.

PaulEd

I have a generac RXSW200A3 transfer switch. The customer wants it mounted inside, recessed in a 2x6 wall finished with sheetrock. It will protrude out a 1/2" from the sheetrock when finished to access cover. Inspector said this is not allowable because it does not have factory knockouts and a flush mount cover. The installation manual states it can be inside, but must be mounted vertically to a rigid structure. Closest I can find in code is 314.20 Flush Mounted installation...shall not be set back more than 1/4" , shall extend to finished surface or extend past. Figured it would come down to manufacturer listing, but nothing out right allows or prohibits it. 2020 code cycle. Thoughts?

Can you upload a picture of this install?