Transformer Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
According to the NYC DOB 2012 Code Revision and Interpretation Committee Code Interpretation:

Section 110.26(F) - (4/4/2012)

Q: In an electric closet we are required to provide a ceiling mounted 45 KVA transformer. Section 110.26(A) requires a minimum working space of 3 feet.

a. Does section 110.26 (A) & 110.26(A)(1) pertain to ceiling mounted transformers?
b. Since the transformer will not likely require adjustment, servicing, or maintenance, does section 110.26(A)(1) apply?

A. a. Yes, Section 110.26(A) requirements apply to all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment. Also, transformer accessibility per section 450.13 must be provided.

b. Yes, Section 110.26(A)(1) requires such working space for equipment that likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized. See excerpt from NEC 2008 Handbook in regard to examination inclusions:

?It is important to understand that the word examination, as used in 110.26(A), includes such tasks as checking for the presence of voltage using a portable voltmeter.?​

Do you agree?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can't speak for how NY might view the situation, but most inspectors in this area do not such transformers to be subject to 110.26.
I don't recall that I ever saw someone take the cover off one of those transformers while energized.
With the cover clearances most have and the mechanics of removing the cover, few experienced electricians that I know care to do so,

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I should add this has never been flagged by an inspector on any job I know of, I was just reading this and thought it was interesting/contrary to what I thought previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.