Transformer Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Greetings,

Per 450.27 the transformers has to be safeguarded from building. Per IEEE and FM the min clearance of service transformers (500 oil gallons or more) when the building wall is fire rated is 15'. But I have seen these transformers right next to a building. My question is who should raise the flag for these types of installation. The design engineer says utility is responsible, the utility says it is owner problem. The owner says I passed the inspection. Any thoughts on that?

jeremy.zinkofsky

Greetings,

Per 450.27 the transformers has to be safeguarded from building. Per IEEE and FM the min clearance of service transformers (500 oil gallons or more) when the building wall is fire rated is 15'. But I have seen these transformers right next to a building. My question is who should raise the flag for these types of installation. The design engineer says utility is responsible, the utility says it is owner problem. The owner says I passed the inspection. Any thoughts on that?

There is no code requirement here, just recommendations from industry standards. You could offer your recommendation for the record and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.