Transformer GEC Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

When bringing the GEC out of a transformer, does it have to be bonded at the point where it passes through the metal transformer enclosure? (I know it's a good idea, but not sure if it's required.)

250.64(E) says to bond each end of the enclosure... So do I count the point where the GEC is connected to the SDS as one "end" of the enclosure and then bond as it leaves the transformer through the other "end" of the enclosure?

Thanks a bunch.

-John

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
When bringing the GEC out of a transformer, does it have to be bonded at the point where it passes through the metal transformer enclosure? (I know it's a good idea, but not sure if it's required.)

-John

I'd say, no since it's already bonded to the transformer frame via the mechanical lug the GEC is landed to. Also, most of the installs I've seen bring the GEC up through one of the vent slots at the bottom of the enclosure so bonding at that point would be hard to do. I don't think the same concerns regarding a GEC metallic raceway and bonding both ends of that would apply here.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The intent of the NEC is that its bonded. There is a fitting made for this called a Kenny Clamp. By the way, Mike Holt shows this fitting in his graphics with no note on what it is.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Here you go.......Seems like a romex connector would do the same thing in fact I use romex connectors when bringing in a GEC to a panelboard. I know.....it's a listing thing:rolleyes:

kennyclampinstalledcloseup.jpg

I believe the designer of the Kenny Clamp sold his product to Arlington.

I was at the Eastern Section meeting of the IAEI this past October. We discussed this very issue. CMP #5 members and UL reps stated that the GEC entering the service enclosure and bonded to the bus that is directly bonded to the enclosure, is not required to be bonded to the enclosure where it enters the enclosure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
CMP #5 members and UL reps stated that the GEC entering the service enclosure and bonded to the bus that is directly bonded to the enclosure, is not required to be bonded to the enclosure where it enters the enclosure.

I would agree with that wholeheartedly. Using a bonding bushing on a raceway for attachment of the GEC to the raceway would just be redundant therefore it's not required.

iwire

Staff member
I would agree with that wholeheartedly. Using a bonding bushing on a raceway for attachment of the GEC to the raceway would just be redundant therefore it's not required.

I agree as well, the NEC does not require us to bond it twice to the same enclosure.

benaround

What if 'big john' had stubed up the GEC in a RMC near the bottom of the transformer,

would a bond bushing or equal be needed for the RMC??

Status
Not open for further replies.