transformer grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don.Harker

Occupation
Electrician
I am currently installing transformers to power new presses. these transformers are 75KVA delta 3PH 480v primary / 240 volt secondary with a neutral tap for 120v capability on the two corner taps. I am using the 120v capability for aux. machine outlets, and the transformers are large enough to handle the 120v load as well as the machine load. do I need to bond the neutral lug to the ground lug on the transformer frame with a ground wire? Also would it be wise to drive a ground rod (electrode) at the transformer site and connect it to the ground lug?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, the neutral will need to be bonded. But you need to realize that there is more to this than just putting a bonding jumper on. You need to have a proper GE system, overcurrent protection, etc.

Don.Harker

Occupation
Electrician
I have overcurrent protection on the 120v wires (fuses) the service for the building has a good grounding electrode system at the main service entrance (rods,water pipe and beams all as GE system. should I install a gr. rod at the transformer location also or will this cause the feeder ground to carry a small bit of voltage?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You really need to review 250.30 and follow that for your transformer grounding.
The piece-meal questions might well lead into a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.