Transformer in data center

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOEL30

What's best practice for locating a transformer in an IT data center. I'm of the understanding that they should not be located in it because of EM.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
JOEL30 said:
What's best practice for locating a transformer in an IT data center. I'm of the understanding that they should not be located in it because of EM.

I have yet to be in a large data center that does not have transfromers installed in it. Many data centers use PDUs, which are combinations of transformers and panelboards, located relatively close to the server racks.

ron

I heard of someone using a meter and found more EMI radiating from the solid state ballasts in the light fixtures and switching power supplies of the servers, than a metal enclosed transformer.
If there was a significant EMI coming out of the transformer, then I would guess that the metal enclosure would get red hot as a result of inductive heating.

LLSolutions

While I would not put a data rack on top of a transformer being in the same room is an acceptable practice. Most large UPS systems have the transformer and load centers built into them. Remember the closer the transformer is to the distro the less wire cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.