transformer mounted at 10' above panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCBERRY

an electrical inspector is requiring a panelboard which is wall mounted be brought out to within 6 iches of the face of a transformer which serves this low side panel which is hung at 10 above the floor

Where is this interpretation to be found in the NEC ?

480sparky

If memory serves, it's not in the '08. I recall this once being a requirement, but it caused so many problems as it forced the front faces of all electrical equipment to be brought out to the same plane.

Image several 4" panels, 20" MDP, 24" MCC and a 30" transformer on a wall. The requirement said the front faces were all to be on the same plane. Made installing switchgear a royal PITA.

So I think it got removed, but I can't locate it in any of the older codes.

Any easy way to find it is to ask the inspector for a Code reference.

Last edited:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ask your inspector for a code reference. I'm thinking he'll quote something from 110.26 but I sure can't find anything if I'm interpreting your question properly.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The inspector is misinterpreting 110.26(A)(3), by ignoring the phrase, "Within the height requirements of this section." Your transformer does not interfere with the height requirements, so the 6" rule does not apply.

edavis2293

XFMR / Panel

XFMR / Panel

The inspector may be going by 110-26(F)(1). If the panel is located indoors, then the area above the panel to a height of 6' above the panel must be clear. This article list panelbaords specifically and doesn't permit the 6" rule in 110-26(A)(3) either.

raider1

Staff member
The inspector may be going by 110-26(F)(1). If the panel is located indoors, then the area above the panel to a height of 6' above the panel must be clear. This article list panelbaords specifically and doesn't permit the 6" rule in 110-26(A)(3) either.

I don't agree that 110.26(F)(1) prohibits a transformer from being installed in the dedicated space above a panel. The dedicated space is for the "electrical installation" of which the transformer would be an integral part.

Chris

dcspector

The inspector is misinterpreting 110.26(A)(3), by ignoring the phrase, "Within the height requirements of this section." Your transformer does not interfere with the height requirements, so the 6" rule does not apply.

Agreed along with edavis2293's post. 110.26(A)(3) is what I was looking at with Charlie b

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't agree that 110.26(F)(1) prohibits a transformer from being installed in the dedicated space above a panel. The dedicated space is for the "electrical installation" of which the transformer would be an integral part.

Chris

I would agree with Chris. You see it all the time in plants where floor space is at a premium.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Chris

I agree also. This installation would not violate the dedicated space or working space requirements for the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.