Transformer output

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

I have a 120/208 to 277/480 volt 150kva transformer installed about 6 months ago. Doing some pm on it today and the output voltage is only 460 volts with no load. Didn’t install the transformer so not sure what the original readings were. Trans is tapped at its highest setting. I’m thinking there is a factory issue with the windings somehow? Anybody with any insight on this?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
If the taps are, as usual, on the input (208 windings), LOWERING the tap will raise the output voltage. Attach a photo of the nameplate. It is unusual to have a wye:wye transformer, but certainly not unheard of.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
What is the voltage line to line on the primary when you read 460 on the secondary?

Also, maybe a dumb question, but are you sure this is an actual 208 -> 480 step up transformer? And not a (more common) step down transformer that is being backfed? I ask only because you say you did not install it. If it is a backed xfrmr, then any winding compensation works against you and the taps won't work like normal either.

And yes, like GeorgeB indicated, you seem to indicate it's a Wye-Wye, which would be unusual.

fireryan

If the taps are, as usual, on the input (208 windings), LOWERING the tap will raise the output voltage. Attach a photo of the nameplate. It is unusual to have a wye:wye transformer, but certainly not unheard of.
Yes George I am thinking of this backwards. The tap is set at 220 not 208. So lowering the tap to 208 should increase the secondary voltage not decrease it.

fireryan

What is the voltage line to line on the primary when you read 460 on the secondary?

Also, maybe a dumb question, but are you sure this is an actual 208 -> 480 step up transformer? And not a (more common) step down transformer that is being backfed? I ask only because you say you did not install it. If it is a backed xfrmr, then any winding compensation works against you and the taps won't work like normal either.

And yes, like GeorgeB indicated, you seem to indicate it's a Wye-Wye, which would be unusual.
Primary is 212 L-L. It is indeed a step up trans. Primary is 208. Secondary is 277/480. I typed that wrong

paulengr

If it’s a 208 primary to 480 secondary transformer how would it not be a step up transformer?

That is how it is being used. Physically the coils are designed cooling wise with the primary coil on the inside and secondary on the outside for cooling reasons. If you reverse this it won’t cool properly so you have to derate a transformer that is used “backwards” (step down design used to step up).

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So this transformer is Wye/Wye? Not Delta/Wye? You said the primary is 120/208. Is there a neutral connected to the primary (208) side?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So this transformer is Wye/Wye? Not Delta/Wye? You said the primary is 120/208. Is there a neutral connected to the primary (208) side?
For wye-wye, the primary neutral is used and connected. Otherwise, the wye secondary voltages could vary.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Primary is 212 L-L. It is indeed a step up trans. Primary is 208. Secondary is 277/480. I typed that wrong
If you're applying 212 volts then obviously something is wrong with your output of only 460 volts. Some photo's would help.

paulengr

If you're applying 212 volts then obviously something is wrong with your output of only 460 volts. Some photo's would help.

It’s a tap difference.

Sounds like it’s on the most extreme tap.

480/208 = 2.307
460 / 212 = 2.170

Comes out to -5%. It’s on the highest tap setting. If this is a dry transformer the taps might be missing. Put a jumper on the middle tap position.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If primary is 212 L-L then,
At tap
220 = 2.18 TTR = 462 output volts
212. = 2.26. = 479
208. = 2.307. = 489
203. = 2.36. = 500
198. = 2.42. = 513

Status
Not open for further replies.