transformer primary disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a service disconnecting means required for a 480-120/208 3 phase transformer?
I am clear on the requirements for the secondary side, but I do not believe a disconnect is "required" on the primary even if the over current device protecting the primary is out of site.
Am I correct, or has there been a recent change?
Or have I always been incorrect.

Sangre

Re: transformer primary disconnecting means

Utilities equipment aside, I have always felt that the code does not address this topic well when considering transformer replacements, preventive maintenance cleaning etc. No disconnecting or lock-out provisions required on these as you have noted.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
I would also like to state that I would like to see this issue addressed as well. I would prefer to install a disconnect, but this can be an expensive item to throw in for free if its not shown on the drawings, and no one else bids it in.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If you think the code needs changing, then write a propsoal. Remember that the NEC is really written by the users, not the NFPA. The deadline to submit a proposed change for the 2008 code is early November of this year. See tthe "Proposals for 2008" section of this forum for more info on how to submitt a proposal.
Don

Sangre

Don,

Yes, it might be a proposal topic, I guess thats why I threw it out here to see what others felt about it..not to bash the code at all. I have heard others voice the same thoughts on it. I would rather hash some of it out here thumbs up or down and the reasoning either way, than to suggest a proposal to have it shot down for a great reason that I had overlooked.
I am new here also so please let me know if that was inappropriate.

Sangre

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Sangre,
I was just making a suggestion. The only way the code gets "fixed" is if someone submits a proposal. I have no problem with "bashing" the code, and have done it my self many times.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.