Transformer Primary OCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

There is a large 1000a 480V main distribution board in a electrical room which contains a 200A breaker for our use. I am showing a new wire way coming out of the MDP which will contain a 200A feeder from the breaker, through the wire way, and to a new meter.

Can I go straight from the meter right to our new transformer, or do I require OCP on the primary side? There is already OCP on the primary side but it is before the meter which is strange to me in this case.

Thanks!

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... There is already OCP on the primary side but it is before the meter which is strange to me in this case. ...
Strange to me too. Are there any issues concerning "service" or "utility"? Such as, who owns the transformer and the MDP?

... Can I go straight from the meter right to our new transformer, or do I require OCP on the primary side? There is already OCP on the primary side but it is before the meter ...
Even if there are no "service" issues. Are there revenue issues? Does the owner not give access to the disconnect? Are there 450.14 issues?

These are some of the things i would look at.

ice

Npstewart

The MDP is owned by the landlord of the building. The transformer will be owned and purchased by the tenant.

The tenant will always have access to this electrical room and the transformer, & MDP is located within this electrical room.

Attached is a quick schematic I just drew. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• schematic2.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't see a Code requirement for any other disconnect or OCP. (I believe in the 2011 the OCP needs to be "in sight from" or lockable)
As mentioned, there are often legal issues if the meter is used for "resale" of electricity.

Npstewart

That's what I thought, I guess the only difference in my situation is the meter and there definitely is nothing in the code that says an additional OCPD is required before or after a meter. I guess I was just over thinking it.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.