Transformer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

I installed a 480v 3phase to 120/240v 3phase 75KVA transformer that has a center tap (X4) between X1 and X2. X3 is the high leg.

I called the manufacturer today to verify that X3 was the high leg and that X4 was the neutral. The tech verified that X3 is the high leg and that X4 is the neutral between X1 and X2. She also said, "The X4 terminal is limited to 5% of the KVA of the transformer."

This came as a surprise. This transformer is to supply power to a 120/240v panelboard which will serve both single and three phase loads. Am I correct in calculating the maximum amount of current the X4 terminal can handle is 9 amps ? The nameplate states the maximum primary amps are 90 and the secondary is 180. 5% of 180 equals 9.

If this is correct, this transformer will not work. I contacted the salesman who sold us the transformer since she is the person who specified the transformer. I told her the transformer would be feeding a 120/240v panelboard which she also supplied. Not once did she mention the current limitation of the neutral. She did send me an email with the following information which she acquired from the SquareD website:

"240 Delta with 120 center taps have historically been limited to 5% capacity on the center tap. The new units from Schneider Electric offer greater limits on 120 V center tap. Limits are determined by the total transformer loading and the following formula used to size new 120 V center tap units:
(240 V balanced loads) + 2.5 x (120 V loads)= kVA required"

I do not understand this paragraph. If I add four 120volt loads to this panel using a multiwire branch circuit and each 120volt load is equal, would the current returning to the transformer be zero ?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The 5% limitation, of single core dry type transformers, has been a standard problem for the 30 odd years I have been in the industry. Only recently have I heard manufacturers design higher rated units. For example the Square D unit you mentioned uses the formula of 2.5S+T=KVA were S = L-N loads T= L-L loads, KVA = total KVA of transformer winding.

When feeding panelboards I have always preferred to use two separate transformers and panels, one for three phase loads only (no neutral) and a separate one for single phase. This prevents problems with having the high-leg in my panels. If I am forced to a single panel then I use two transformers connected in open delta (although I may now look at the newer designs).

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You were informed correctly; such a transformer _must_ have a high leg. This is one of the reasons that such an install is quite rare these days.

Far more common is the installation of a 208/120 _wye_ transformer to supply 120V loads. Often the three phase loads are simply specified to use the available 480V, so that you don't need the 240V. Additionally, many '240V' loads are actually designed to work with a 208V supply. But if you really need 240V, you are stuck with either using two separate transformers or a high leg transformer.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.