Transformer Secondary (windings and conductors) Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I could not find this in the tap rules. I am reviewing plans that show a step-down transformer feeding an MLO panel that feeds 4 loads. Is this legal? Where would I find the associated 6-throws rule?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I could not find this in the tap rules. I am reviewing plans that show a step-down transformer feeding an MLO panel that feeds 4 loads. Is this legal? Where would I find the associated 6-throws rule?

That wouldn't comply with the requirements of 408.36. (Assuming you have a 4-wire secondary.)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thanks, David. That helps. It is a 4-wire secondary. What they are showing on one 225 amp MLO panel are four breakers that add up to 360 amps. The other MLO panel is rated 400 amps, and its four breakers add up to 425 amps. So I will cite that as a violation.

But just for the sake of discussion, if a transformer feeds an MLO panel that has four breakers that total less than the rating of the panel, will that be compliant?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, David. That helps. It is a 4-wire secondary. What they are showing on one 225 amp MLO panel are four breakers that add up to 360 amps. The other MLO panel is rated 400 amps, and its four breakers add up to 425 amps. So I will cite that as a violation.

But just for the sake of discussion, if a transformer feeds an MLO panel that has four breakers that total less than the rating of the panel, will that be compliant?

408.36 requires that the panelboard be protected by AN overcurrent device having a rating not greater than the rating of the panelboard. Multiple breakers, even if the total rating was less than the panelboard rating, do not meet this requirement.

They would need either an MCB panel, or a separate OCPD before the panel.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
408.36 requires that the panelboard be protected by AN overcurrent device having a rating not greater than the rating of the panelboard. Multiple breakers, even if the total rating was less than the panelboard rating, do not meet this requirement.

They would need either an MCB panel, or a separate OCPD before the panel.

That's interesting for sure.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What allows that install on a new service from a utility transformer where the 6 movement rule is used?

JAP>

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
What allows that install on a new service from a utility transformer where the 6 movement rule is used?

JAP>
As far as I can tell, nothing allows that in the 2020 Code. (Maybe they've moved that exception to somewhere else?)

408.36 ex 1 allowed it in earlier Codes.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
In that case per the 2020 code will all Group Metering setups require a Main in the Terminal boxes ?

We have POCO's around our area that will not allow such a device between their utility transformer and the line side of the meter bases in a group metering setup regardless of the amount of tenant mains.

Jap>

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

JAP>
Under the 2017 and prior this was allowed as as David mentioned. The reason is this is not a "tap" application, the conductors are service conductors and tap rules do not apply.
For the 2020 edition if you have multiple service disconnects they must be in separate enclosures.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'll have to read up on the 2020.

We're not that far along in our area.

Seems like a rather substantial change.

JAP>

Under the 2017 and prior this was allowed as as David mentioned. The reason is this is not a "tap" application, the conductors are service conductors and tap rules do not apply.
For the 2020 edition if you have multiple service disconnects they must be in separate enclosures.
Just note that the language is a little different for meter enclosures and for those it is "separate compartments" not "separate enclosures". As far as 408.36, I don't think a meter pack is a panelboard so that would not apply.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'll have to read up on the 2020.

We're not that far along in our area.

Seems like a rather substantial change.

JAP>
It is a huge change.
(B) Two to Six Service Disconnecting Means. Two to six service disconnects shall be permitted for each service permitted by 230.2 or for each set of service-entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, o r 5. The two to six service disconnecting means shall be permitted to consist of a combination of any of the following:
(1) Separate enclosures with a main service disconnecting means in each enclosure
(2) Panelboards with a main service disconnecting means in each panelboard enclosure
(3) Switchboard(s) where there is only one service disconnect in each separate vertical section where there are barriers separating each vertical section
(4) Service disconnects in switchgear or metering centers where each disconnect is located in a separate compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.