Transformer voltage unbalance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthLine

Occupation
Electrician
have a newly installed transformer that has strange voltage readings. all the loads on this transformer are 3phase solar inverters. the transformer is 2000 KVA 480Y/277
A to ground 304V
B to ground 261V
C to ground 296V

Phase A to B 478V
Phase A to C 479V
Phase B to C 478 V

Cant figure out why the Line to ground voltage is unbalanced and high while the phase to phase voltage is correct.

Any ideas.

NorthLine

Occupation
Electrician
I'm sure we have a bonding jumper installed. This transformer was previously installed without any voltage issues. We removed it from service and sent it in for bushing repair. once it was returned we hooked it back up and noticed unbalanced phases to ground.
The odd thing is I see voltage unbalance at transformer secondary paddles, in switchgear but if I test at any of the 36 inverters it shows perfect L-G 278?
Any other suggestions

synchro

Occupation
EE
How far is the closest inverter from the transformer? If close enough then you could measure if there's any noticeable voltage difference between the ground reference at the transformer and at the inverter, using a wire over to one of the grounds as necessary.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
My thought is harmonic distortion produced by the inverters that may be affecting your meter readings. What kind of VM are you using?
If there are disconnects between the inverters and xfmr then open them and measure voltages at the xfmr no-load.

NorthLine

Occupation
Electrician
I opened the main switchgear 3000amp breaker and tested the transformer with no load, still same results. Contacted the transformer company and it sounds like they forgot to install the internal bonding strap..... not to impressed but I'll continue trouble shooting for now.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I opened the main switchgear 3000amp breaker and tested the transformer with no load, still same results. Contacted the transformer company and it sounds like they forgot to install the internal bonding strap..... not to impressed but I'll continue trouble shooting for now.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have always thought that the jumper would be field installed to give me options other than a solidly grounded system. None of the industrial ones I have installed has an XO to ground connection. We made that connection at the first disconnect by installing a system bonding jumper, except for the couple of times, there was a resistance ground used.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So it was a missing SBJ after all?

On the very large kva transformers that we install the SBJ is usually factory installed (maybe it's ordered that way). I don't think that the SBJ is the same as a bonding strap or is it?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I've never worked on a transformer anywhere near that size, so IDK who is supposed to make the connection.
Still, nice to hear the answer. Thanks
On liquid filled units the jumper is usually installed at the factory under the liquid. On dry type units it is often just a field removable/installable link.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
A simple winding resistance test would catch something like this. I always recommend acceptance testing per the ANSI/NETA ATS...

Status
Not open for further replies.