Transformer winding dictating phase sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKoehl

Today, we were setting up a 480/277 Wye to a 240/120 Delta (with a high-leg). We were landing the secondary side before we landed the primary side and checking rotation of the new service and the boss said we should have landed the primary side first so we could check rotation.

I asked, can't we just change two the the primaries leads to change the rotation if there was a problem and he said that he thought that the sequence (rotation) might be dictated by the windings of this transformer, and to change the rotation we would have to change the secondary side. We got it working without having to change the secondary side.

But my question is- there ever a time when the winding of the transformer would alter the phase sequence from the primary?

my understanding is that the windings of the transformer alter the voltage and establish the relations for phases to each other on the secondary side, but I have never heard of the windings dictating phase sequence.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In a word, no. He is wrong. It doesn't matter where you change the sequence, everything follows.

He may be getting confused with drives and on-line UPS systems where changing the line side has no effect on the load side. But a transformer, straight through.

Status
Not open for further replies.