Transformer %Z Mfg Tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCleveland

Users of SKM, etc…
When selecting a tranny from a library or user input %Z, does the program use the values given or reduce by 7.5 or 10%…to account for ANSI mfg to tolerances?

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
I haven't used SKM so I can't respond specifically to your question, but it wouldn't make sense for the software to modify %Z pre-emptively. The direction of the presumed tolerance will be based on what type of study you're doing. A short circuit study would want to use -10% Z and an arc flash study would want to use +10% Z, so that value is likely defined when you initiate the specific study.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think this is an option in the short circuit settings in SKM. If the transformer is existing, you'll just use the actual impedance from the nameplate, of course, so the software shouldn't do any adjustment in that situation.

MyCleveland

I haven't used SKM so I can't respond specifically to your question, but it wouldn't make sense for the software to modify %Z pre-emptively. The direction of the presumed tolerance will be based on what type of study you're doing. A short circuit study would want to use -10% Z and an arc flash study would want to use +10% Z, so that value is likely defined when you initiate the specific study.
Thanks for responding.
Your comment in bold...does the program do this automatically or must user initiate this?
Same question related to service voltage tolerance.

MyCleveland

I think this is an option in the short circuit settings in SKM. If the transformer is existing, you'll just use the actual impedance from the nameplate, of course, so the software shouldn't do any adjustment in that situation.
Your comment in bold...is the value on nameplate ACTUAL test value or factory target value? If this is the case then the tolerance band still applies.
Watched an Eaton training video where it was stated the tranny nameplate was NOT an actual test value and the tolerance band still needed to be addressed. They made no comment on the utility voltage tolerance.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The nameplate value is an actual test value. It's measured after the transformer is built in every case I've ever encountered. It's part of the routine transformer test prior to shipment, and is a relatively simple measurement. I'd be interested in seeing the statement from Eaton - just out of curiosity.

SKM does also allow specifying a range of utility voltages - again as an option. +/- 5% is a reasonable range - this is allowable normal range in the ANSI standard.

MyCleveland

The nameplate value is an actual test value. It's measured after the transformer is built in every case I've ever encountered. It's part of the routine transformer test prior to shipment, and is a relatively simple measurement. I'd be interested in seeing the statement from Eaton - just out of curiosity.

SKM does also allow specifying a range of utility voltages - again as an option. +/- 5% is a reasonable range - this is allowable normal range in the ANSI standard.
Please go to "
"
YouTube video...go to 1:38:00 and start, special attention at 1:39:30.
Please tell me if I am hearing this incorrectly.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Interesting. I think his interpretation is incorrect. The ANSI C57 standards he referenced talk about the "specified value" of impedance. When a transformer is ordered and manufactured, it will have a nominal impedance value specified and the standards have nominal impedance values. The ACTUAL impedance as measured by test can vary per the allowed range (generally +/- 7.5%). On older transformer nameplates, the impedance was left blank until the transformer was tested and then the actual value was stamped on the nameplate. I checked Conrad St. Pierre's book on short circuit calculations and he makes no mention of this issue in terms of adjusting nameplate impedances, and I've never heard it explained this way. Perhaps it is different with the very small dry-type transformers, but in my experience there is generally an actual impedance (not nominal) on the nameplate. (This is in the US.)

MyCleveland

Interesting. I think his interpretation is incorrect. The ANSI C57 standards he referenced talk about the "specified value" of impedance. When a transformer is ordered and manufactured, it will have a nominal impedance value specified and the standards have nominal impedance values. The ACTUAL impedance as measured by test can vary per the allowed range (generally +/- 7.5%). On older transformer nameplates, the impedance was left blank until the transformer was tested and then the actual value was stamped on the nameplate. I checked Conrad St. Pierre's book on short circuit calculations and he makes no mention of this issue in terms of adjusting nameplate impedances, and I've never heard it explained this way. Perhaps it is different with the very small dry-type transformers, but in my experience there is generally an actual impedance (not nominal) on the nameplate. (This is in the US.)
Thanks David
I reached out to my Eaton factory rep and he stated delivered tranny nameplate IS tested value.

I am going to try and reach out to the video author for clarification.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Relatively few general purpose dry type transformers are actually tested. Stock units tyipcally use design values. Custom ordered units often include impedance testing as part of their deliverables.

MyCleveland

Relatively few general purpose dry type transformers are actually tested. Stock units tyipcally use design values. Custom ordered units often include impedance testing as part of their deliverables.
Thanks for responding.
Rep was a little iffy on the dry types.

So you are confident all padmounts or drytype unit subs label would be a test value?
Standard drytypes label would be factory target value subject to the build tolerance range?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks for responding.
Rep was a little iffy on the dry types.

So you are confident all padmounts or drytype unit subs label would be a test value?
No, but I am confident every label uses a design value unless a custom test has been ordered and paid for.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For pad-mounted transformers - each one is tested for impedance.

Looking at the GE/ABB guide spec for the smaller dry-type transformers, they are factory-tested, but it appears that the routine tests do NOT include impedance. They test impedance on identical units and use that. I think this based on the ANSI C57 standards that I no longer have access to.

===========

Transformers furnished to this specification shall receive the following production tests:​

Applied Potential​

Induced Potential​

No Load Losses​

Voltage Ratio​

Polarity​

Continuity​

Manufacturer shall perform the following additional tests on units identical to the design type being supplied to this specification. Manufacturer shall provide on request test data sheets to prove performance of these tests.​

Sound Levels​

Temperature Rise Tests​

Full-Load Losses​

Regulation​

Impedance​

MyCleveland

No, but I am confident every label uses a design value unless a custom test has been ordered and paid for.
Jim
Conversation with my SQ-D rep...

Actual value ONLY provided if a test report is specified.
Xfmer's with a specified test still ship with standard tag that indicates design value, NOT the value from a test.
Every Xfmr IS tested to verify it meets tolerance band, but test value does not get added to factory tag.

Does this match your experience on the topic?

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think you have to be specific about the type of transformer you are talking about. It appears small dry-types are tested to a different standard than pad-mounts or substation transformers.

MyCleveland

I think you have to be specific about the type of transformer you are talking about. It appears small dry-types are tested to a different standard than pad-mounts or substation transformers.
Rep implied this was the case for everything...
every tranny gets tested for compliance to tolerance band.
every tranny ships with standard tag that has design target value, even ones where a test report was specified.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Do whatever you want, but I don't believe his comments are accurate except for maybe the dry-type transformers. I'm not sure what you mean by "tag", but transformers have a nameplate with the impedance marked.

MyCleveland

Do whatever you want, but I don't believe his comments are accurate except for maybe the dry-type transformers. I'm not sure what you mean by "tag", but transformers have a nameplate with the impedance marked.
David…”do whatever….”
I am not doing anything, just sharing some feedback. I have no idea who is correct, reason for the thread to begin with.
”tag” or “nameplate”, I think you know what I meant.

Waiting for Jim to chime in.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Jim
Conversation with my SQ-D rep...

Actual value ONLY provided if a test report is specified.
Xfmer's with a specified test still ship with standard tag that indicates design value, NOT the value from a test.
Every Xfmr IS tested to verify it meets tolerance band, but test value does not get added to factory tag.

Does this match your experience on the topic?
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.