transformer???

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to a call this mornin to check some tings and after mi service i start to take some info about the place and the service....this is mi cuestion.....what type of service is feeding this main service????
the panel say 3 phases 3 wires
the phase A vs. ground 240 volts
phase B vs. ground 0 v
phase c vs. ground 240 v
phase a vs. b 240 v
phase a vs. c 240 v
phase b vs. c 240 volts

Re: transformer???

becarefull with this one a good chace that you have corner ground delta service or straght delta but what you mention that b phase to ground is 0 volts can happend two thing is : one is corner ground service the second thing that you have "open" delta service a quick hint check the meter box and service drop to post then count the cans on post it should be 3 for both delta or wye servce otherwise if you see 2 cans mean open delta service ( few power compaines still have it not much any more ) but i am more leaning to open delta service but did you check the box when you reading the voltage it should be a marking like colour or something like that

merci marc

the service is underground and really i did not take to much time to check deeper, but the service i s feeding a transformer delta 240 star 120/208 , and i check the transf. and the voltage was ok 120 phases vs. ground and 208 betwen

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Enrique,

You have a grounded B-phase system. It does not make any difference if it is fed by a Closed or Open delta transformer bank.

My only concern is if the system was intended to be grounded, or do you have a fault to ground?

Intentionally grounded systems can usually be determine by:
bonding of phase to ground at service entrance
the use of two-pole switches, breakers, and bus bars
an identified grounded conductor in the system

bennie

Esteemed Member

This configuration is usually done at remote water well locations. Two phase legs and the MGN are connected open wye/open delta to two 240 volt pots. This provides 240 three phase for the pump.

A small 240/120 transformer is connected for lights and a receptacle.

This setup saves one long power line and a transformer.

scott thompson

Bennie,

Nice to see 'Ya again!!! :D How's everything been lately?

Re: MGN distribution; I created some Schematics of MGN Distribution systems, and posted them in the ECN Technical Reference area.
Another one of the Moderators at ECN (Paul, Moderates the Non-US Electrical Systems area) contributed several MGN system schematics, which are used widely in UK.

Paul drew them in a graphics app., sent them to Nick - who redrew them with AutoCAD 2K, then sent to me for rasterizing and uploading.
Sure got around, didn't they?!

Scott35.

P.S. The system in question sounds like a 3? 3Wire Corner (?B) Grounded Delta, mostly due to the topic starter's location being in California and the 240 VAC L-L + L-G ( 0 VAC for B to ground). Haven't seen any MGN Open Wye setups around here yet. Saw many in Vegas and Oregon. Instead, we have a Gazzillion Open Delta Vee setups spread everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.