transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonkel

Hi when gronding the x0 on a step up 208 to 480 transformer,can you go from water main to x0 via the transformer (through a lug ,without cutting ground)at the same pointas the factory jumper. Or does the ground have to be completely direct with an additional smmall jumper to transformer shell. Also i know i need a neutral to the load side swich (480) even thou electricly i have no need for it,but do i need bonding bushings to switch. It a small piece of 3 and a half inch green field with exposed bond on it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When transforming from 208 to 480 there would be no XO connection.

Roger

jonkel

I know what your sayin BUT ive notice transformers from canada ,have the h1,h2, h3 as the primary voltage,regardless if it the high or low side. so this transformer has delta 208 h1 h2 h3 to y x1 x2 x3 x0. being the 480. and ive seen it like thios befors strange right? but i know its not mislabed you can tell but the copper size.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
jonkel said:
I know what your sayin BUT ive notice transformers from canada ,have the h1,h2, h3 as the primary voltage,regardless if it the high or low side. so this transformer has delta 208 h1 h2 h3 to y x1 x2 x3 x0. being the 480. and ive seen it like thios befors strange right? but i know its not mislabed you can tell but the copper size.

This would not be unusual but it would be transforming from 208 Delta to 480y/277.

As far as your original question, your connection from the water main should be made directly to the XO tap.

Roger

Last edited:

jonkel

strange but true

strange but true

thanks for the answer, yes it is odd,but true iknow this isnt the only one because six years ago a few buddys of mine wired one backwards lol. they were new jorney men and went with the letters only ignoring copper size and the fact that they had no center tap on the secondary. they didnt need a neutral in this case so that thru them. when they turned it on the had like 50 volts on the load side, they had to spin the guts and they got lucky it wasnt too bad. What about bonding bushing going from the transformer to the switch,i dont think i need them ?? its no conn kos.

Status
Not open for further replies.