Transit walkway lighting design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am a new user here and I am trying to increase my design experience. I am working on a design to light a walkway. There are 19 luminaires to be installed in series along a walkway staggered by 100 ft and the luminare rating is 150 W. I have a 480 V 1P 3W from a substation and I want to see if my design approach is correct. First I found the VA for each luminare to be 265 voltamps, giving me a current of .55A at the last luminare and a current of 10.49 at the first luminare. The total load I caluclated as 10.49*1.25=13.11. Which gave my a 15 amps for the OCD at the panel. I then sized the wire to have a VD less than 3% and I get a #6 wire. One question I did have is how do i select the ground wire size, its based on OCD correct?

Thanks in advance for you help

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The equipment grounding conductor must be upsized proportionately to the ungrounded conductors. Art. 250.122(B) First use T. 250.122 then art. 250.122 (B). Basically if you start with a #12 for your ungrounded and egc then increase the ungrounded conductor to #6 you must increase the egc to #6

Welcome to the forum.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Dennis and add that if your actual load is 13.11 amps you also need to take into account that this is a "continuous load" (3 hours or more) and your 15 amp OCP should be increased to a 20 amp, IMO.
and
as Dennis stated, Welcome to the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.