Transition from pvc to liquidtight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Transitioning from pvc to liquidtight, I use threaded liquidtight fittings plus a female pvc threaded fitting. But if I use 2", my supply house only has metal liquidtight threaded fittings, which present a bonding issue plus availability. On a house service, running pvc conduit outside from the meter to inside the house, I would like to transition to liquidtight once inside, to the panel. Is it ok to just slip liquidtight inside couplings and strap tightly ? I realize it's not a glued fit. Or is that a 'rigged' job ? Thanks

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've made this transition many times and never had an issue. That's not to say what I did was right or wrong. One way I've done this is where I have transitioned from PVC with SEU cable using a 2" female adapter where the PVC enters the basement through the rim joist. Screw the 2" squeeze connector into the 2" female adapter and then slide it over the SEU. Glue the PVC and slide on the female adapter to the PVC. On the outside end you'll have to strip off the jacket of the SEU and then into the meter pan otherwise you won't be able to get the SEU wires through the 2" LB.

I'm guessing you are using non-metallic liquid-tight. You can do the same thing with the female adapter and the correct fittings. If you're using metallic liquid-tight, again you can use the same method where you make the transition. The grounding of the liquid-tight will come at the breaker panel end.

I would not glue the NM liquid-tight into a PVC coupling. It's not a tight fit and probably will not hold up.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I've made this transition many times and never had an issue. That's not to say what I did was right or wrong. One way I've done this is where I have transitioned from PVC with SEU cable using a 2" female adapter where the PVC enters the basement through the rim joist. Screw the 2" squeeze connector into the 2" female adapter and then slide it over the SEU. Glue the PVC and slide on the female adapter to the PVC. On the outside end you'll have to strip off the jacket of the SEU and then into the meter pan otherwise you won't be able to get the SEU wires through the 2" LB.

I'm guessing you are using non-metallic liquid-tight. You can do the same thing with the female adapter and the correct fittings. If you're using metallic liquid-tight, again you can use the same method where you make the transition. The grounding of the liquid-tight will come at the breaker panel end.

I would not glue the NM liquid-tight into a PVC coupling. It's not a tight fit and probably will not hold up.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
Thank you, I was going to use single conductors, anything wrong with that and just slipping into the couplings and strapping tightly ?

Buck Parrish

If you're asking if it's code compliant , no. Flex has to be connected through a listed fitting for that purpose.
What you have described may have been done a lot, especially in Indiana. But it is not code compliant.

Now IMO if you were using a jacketed NM such as SEU, like goldstar said. What you have described may be used as a sleeve for physically protecting the cables.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If you used the correct metallic liquidtite with the metal fittings, bonding would not be an issue. If you are going into a non metallic enclosure, a bond bushing on that end would bond that section of metallic raceway.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Transitioning from pvc to liquidtight, I use threaded liquidtight fittings plus a female pvc threaded fitting. But if I use 2", my supply house only has metal liquidtight threaded fittings, which present a bonding issue plus availability.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As the others have stated you have to use the correct fittings for the raceway you are using.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I will preface the below: this was for protecting a fiber optic cable, and not conductors.

I was on a job last month that required running a 3/4" PVC conduit through a very tight compound curve - nothing feasibly bendable with any chance of success. I tried twice and the PVC pipe collapsed and kinked both times.

The plumber happened to be there, and he and I accidentally figured out that if I gently heated up the end of a piece of non-metallic 3/4" liquidtite, I could insert a scrap of 3/4" copper pipe to expand the plastic as it cooled. That made it the perfect size to glue into female fittings.

I absolutely wouldn't do something like this for conductors, but this was for physical protection of a fiber optic cable between two network switches. It's possible to do, but takes some doing and not code-compliant.

I see "flexible elbows" for PVC sold at HD and Lowes that sure look like nonmetallic liquidtite glued into PVC couplers. They're listed, which makes me wonder why someone doesn't sell a set of listed fittings to allow us to it in the field.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.