Tray cable support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a job where we are installing TC- ER cable in cable tray then leaving the tray and running the beam(supported at 6' intervals) to GRC risers from equipment disconnects. My question is what is a LISTED support for type TC-ER cable? I cannot seem to find anything. Why can't they list bridal rings or J hooks for use.

Christoph

Master Electrician, Commercial Electrical Insp.
Occupation
Electrical Inspector
NEC 336.10 (7)(c) names struts, angles or channels as acceptable means of support.

TC cable seems to be an ongoing uncomfortable item for the folks here in the states. It is a rather resilient wire by itself, i.e. you couldnt rip the insulation off of it with bare hands as with romex. so all they ask is that you mechanically protect it. 336.10(7) has other requirements such as supervision of qualified personnel etc.

the NEC hadbook also names UL1277 which then refers to UL514B.

Christoph

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Adder:

j hooks dont provide enough mechanical protection as far as I am concerned, I have used EMT before as "support". It was a running gag how the management people used to emphasize, we are NOT using EMT as such, we are SUPPORTING the cable.

Christoph

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Notice how I just plopped a connector on and there the EMT ends. Just goes from there into the box. Less that 6 feet is all.
6af73cdc8e94056907e21f5d72684d6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is an Industrial plant and the exposed runs are only at the ceiling, but Inspectors will gig you on MC in bridal ring so I use listed MCS101, but don't they mind #3/4 MC in a mini(Listed for EMT) on a beam clamp. Both clean installs. But are they UL listed? I want something that an inspector can't argue. Does it exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.