Tray Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I may have discussed this before, can't recall.

I have a love/hate relationship with tray cable. Very convenient in many ways and faster than conduit/wire pulling. But wire colors are screwed up from the start. Most 3 wire cable is black, red, blue. Nearly all runs require a ground, so one should be green or bare. A few with more wires do have a bare ground but not many. So, any 120 volt run has to be color coded on 2 wires. My preferred way for a long time was to use the one matching circuit color, then code the other 2 as needed. I liked it but it did mean coding different colors different times. Plus, no 2 people did it the same. I have come to think the better way is always use black for line, code red/white for neutral and blue/green for ground. 208 would be black/red for circuit, code blue/green for ground. I go to panels and see all colors having been coded differently. Can be real confusing tracking a neutral or ground in many cases. In cables with more wires, I often see orange coded for green.

I don't know what manufacturers are thinking. 3 wire cable should be black, white, green. 4 wire should be black, red, white, green, etc. Should follow same color patterns as Romex IMHO.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's likely supply & demand...they do make a tray cable with green ans white but I imagine a huge percentage of TC is 3 phase.

jmellc

Occupation
It's likely supply & demand...they do make a tray cable with green ans white but I imagine a huge percentage of TC is 3 phase.
Never saw this chart before. I knew it was probably available somewhere but I never had the choice of ordering it. I used what was given to me. When I had my business, I didn't get any industrial work, so never had the need to order it myself.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
Hey, just throwing this out there in case it's an option...

In my line of work we used a lot of tray cables w/o colors. All except the green/yellow (ground) were black - but numbered. If you needed a neutral, then white tape to identify would work I assume.

We used mostly Lapp Cable (from Stuttgart Germany), easy enough to order here in the States I'm sure. Could not guess on price compared to other brands.

Here is a scrap piece I found this morning at home... 4C, (3) Black and (1) Green/Yellow...

IMG_0297_1.jpg

Just another idea.

Todd0x1

Black White Green tray cable in 14ga-10ga is readily available from Omnicable (through your favorite electrical distributor) Others have it as well.

jmellc

Occupation
Hey, just throwing this out there in case it's an option...

In my line of work we used a lot of tray cables w/o colors. All except the green/yellow (ground) were black - but numbered. If you needed a neutral, then white tape to identify would work I assume.

We used mostly Lapp Cable (from Stuttgart Germany), easy enough to order here in the States I'm sure. Could not guess on price compared to other brands.

Here is a scrap piece I found this morning at home... 4C, (3) Black and (1) Green/Yellow...

View attachment 2564178

Just another idea.
I’ve seen a bit of cable like that, though not tray cable. I like having a green for sure.

jmellc

Occupation
Black White Green tray cable in 14ga-10ga is readily available from Omnicable (through your favorite electrical distributor) Others have it as well.
I’ll see if the boss can start getting this. A help for sure. I’d like to see us come up with a plan that we follow and also demand it of contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.