Tri-plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Ok here we go again--I seem to remember that tri and quad-plex cannot be run in conduit however I can NOT find it anywhere in the NEC.

So my question is--Am I remembering something that was one of those "cuz code says so" and really didn't or am I just not finding it??

As always--THANKS!!

And a special Thank You to the vets of WWII and most especially the Vetsz and Survivors of Pearl Harbor!

Rich

RichB

Occupation
I agree lucky--I also should have mentioned I did a search on here and have looked at the other threads---Never did find a definitive answer--

My thoughts;

Unless it has an insulation that is recognized by the NEC or has a NIRTL listing for on the conductor for use oin coduit then it would not be allowed.

Agree/disagree???

luckylerado

I agree lucky--I also should have mentioned I did a search on here and have looked at the other threads---Never did find a definitive answer--

My thoughts;

Unless it has an insulation that is recognized by the NEC or has a NIRTL listing for on the conductor for use oin coduit then it would not be allowed.

Agree/disagree???

Not allowed unless listed. I agree.

RichB

Occupation
one last thought--396.30
396.30 Messenger.
(A)
Support. The messenger shall be supported at dead
ends and at intermediate locations so as to eliminate tension
on the conductors. The conductors shall not be permitted to
come into contact with the messenger supports or any
structural members, walls, or pipes.

If you bring it into a cabinet--how do you support the end??

JFletcher

one last thought--396.30
396.30 Messenger.
(A)
Support. The messenger shall be supported at dead
ends and at intermediate locations so as to eliminate tension
on the conductors. The conductors shall not be permitted to
come into contact with the messenger supports or any
structural members, walls, or pipes.

If you bring it into a cabinet--how do you support the end??

Weatherhead mast. As I read 396.30, I believe "dead ends" refer to the ends of the messenger wire, not the cables they carry.

RichB

Occupation
Correct,

However they were showing an intermediate support at the pole top and bringing both the insulated and bare conductors, no weatherhead just open conduit, down the conduit to the cabinet--all in one piece.

So you would need to support the end in the cabinet as it runs back up to the pole top hanger

The "bare conductor" or messenger was to be used as either a neutral or EGC, not sure as they didn't specify or show a connection in the cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.