triplex parallel feeders for 4.16 kv cables in cable tray do you size the grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mookie

triplex parallel feeders for 4.16 kv cables in cable tray do you size the grounds in each triplex for full load or half the load

Smart $

Esteemed Member
triplex parallel feeders for 4.16 kv cables in cable tray do you size the grounds in each triplex for full load or half the load
Table 250.122, full size, based on OCPD rating (not the load).

However, you have the option to install just one full size EGC as a single conductor... and there is also the possibility that the tray itself will qualify as the EGC.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the installation uses a cable or cable assembly and not single conductors, do we have that option?
That's how I read 250.122(F)...

(F) Conductors in Parallel. Where conductors are installed
in parallel in multiple raceways or cables as permitted
in 310.10(H), the equipment grounding conductors, where
used, shall be installed in parallel in each raceway or cable.
Where conductors are installed in parallel in the same raceway,
cable, or cable tray as permitted in 310.10(H), a single
equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted. Equipment
grounding conductors installed in cable tray shall meet
the minimum requirements of 392.10(B)(1)(c).
Each equipment grounding conductor shall be sized in
compliance with 250.122.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Interesting. So if you have a 12 wire cable and use the conductors in parallel to make four parallels of one three wire circuit, you can add a single full sized EGC in the cable? Or could it also be separate in the tray?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Interesting. So if you have a 12 wire cable and use the conductors in parallel to make four parallels of one three wire circuit, you can add a single full sized EGC in the cable? Or could it also be separate in the tray?
The way I read it, if the circuit is paralleled within the same raceway or cable, it would have to be a single conductor within the raceway or cable, even if this raceway or cable is installed in cable tray. Then, regarding cable, we also have 250.122(A) second paragraph which says the EGC can be sectioned in a multiconductor cable... so does that mean we can parallel conductors to form the 'single' EGC...??? Seems to say yes to me!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
How does that modify 300.3(B)?

A cable is treated differently than conductors.
The key is the parallel conductors are in more than one cable, and also in a cable tray. If the cables were not in cable tray, then each cable would be required to contain a full-size EGC.

What adds complexity to this is when the tray does not extend to the enclosure where the cable (not its conductors) is terminated. Say you drop these cables out of the tray in conduit chase, because the enclosure is some distance away. The EGCs would have to be in the cables... but if the tray extended all the way to the enclosure, a single EGC would be compliant.

I know how you guys are reading it. I know it may take several to many passes to see it. Distinguish the difference is between 250.122(F) first and second sentence. You guys are assuming the parallel conductors in the tray are single conductors... but if you think about it, those single conductors are actually required to be recognized as single conductor cables... and I think you may be able to make the link from there...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The key is the parallel conductors are in more than one cable, and also in a cable tray. If the cables were not in cable tray, then each cable would be required to contain a full-size EGC.

What adds complexity to this is when the tray does not extend to the enclosure where the cable (not its conductors) is terminated. Say you drop these cables out of the tray in conduit chase, because the enclosure is some distance away. The EGCs would have to be in the cables... but if the tray extended all the way to the enclosure, a single EGC would be compliant.

I know how you guys are reading it. I know it may take several to many passes to see it. Distinguish the difference is between 250.122(F) first and second sentence. You guys are assuming the parallel conductors in the tray are single conductors... but if you think about it, those single conductors are actually required to be recognized as single conductor cables... and I think you may be able to make the link from there...
I read your first post on this issue as saying that you could use a single EGC where you have cables installed in the cable tray. It is my opinion that you can only do that where you install single conductors in the tray. Where cables are installed each cable must have an EGC as part of the cable and that EGC must be sized to comply with 250.122(F).

As far as single conductor cables, I have never really understood the how the code uses the terms cables and conductors, but it is my opinion that a single conductor should never be a cable. A cable should be an assembly of two or more conductors.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

As far as single conductor cables, I have never really understood the how the code uses the terms cables and conductors, but it is my opinion that a single conductor should never be a cable. A cable should be an assembly of two or more conductors.
Well I'll never be able to convince you if this is your viewpoint. :p

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Well I'll never be able to convince you if this is your viewpoint. :p
This question has been debated a number of times with no clear result. Maybe it is time that the terms actually be defined in the code. There are a number of code sections where knowing what the code actually means by those two terms is critical to the application of the section.

Getting back to the question in this thread, if you have installed multi-conductor cables in parallel in the cable tray, 300.3(B) combined with 250.122(F) will require a full size EGC in each of the multi-conductor cables.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This question has been debated a number of times with no clear result. Maybe it is time that the terms actually be defined in the code. There are a number of code sections where knowing what the code actually means by those two terms is critical to the application of the section.

Getting back to the question in this thread, if you have installed multi-conductor cables in parallel in the cable tray, 300.3(B) combined with 250.122(F) will require a full size EGC in each of the multi-conductor cables.
Seems like you want the last word on the matter... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.