Tripping breakers

mai

Occupation
Electrician
Had a call Friday night from a customer whose new house we wired 3 years ago. She said that all of the Eaton AFCI breakers and Dual function breakers in the panels tripped within a few seconds.
When I got there a little later I found them all tripped. None of the standard single pole or double pole breakers were tripped. I reset all of them and within 5 minutes they tripped again all within a few seconds. The flash code was six times which means self- test fail, defective breaker.
After resesting them again 5 minutes later all of the breakers on line 1 tripped at the same time.
In coming voltages checked out ok. Utility company said they weren't aware of any problems. This house is on its own transformer. Owner stated they haven't changed or added any new appliances. They also aren't aware of any lightning strikes recently.
Eaton is sending all new breakers to me.
Anyone else ever experienced this or have ideas of where to start troubleshooting?

mai

Occupation
Electrician
I believe 100% it had to do with solar flairs. Talked to two farmers in the area who said while planting during that time that the auto steer in their tractors, which is GPS controlled was causing major problems. Now the weather service is predicting another event soon. Great!!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Look around the neighborhood for a Ham radio antenna on someone's roof. That's a known issue, discussed in here several times in the past. There is even a video on YouTube showing it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It just hit me: "Tripping Breakers" to be sung to the tune of "Smiling Faces." :sneaky:

Maybe I should make up some new words for that song. :unsure:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Another example of AFCI working when nothing is wrong and not working when devices burn up from backstabbing. Junk that was forced on us by overzealous authorities.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Eaton is sending all new breakers to me.
Eaton has SPD built in, but won't last forever. Whole house SPD is still needed with AFCI breakers.
This Solar maximum has been spitting serious flares & EM storms for several months, surprised those AFCI's lasted this long.