Tripping GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne123

I installed 2 GFI recept in a residence.the problem i ran into was when i went back to test the recpts THAT WAS FED FROM THE gfi.,i found that when i tested the load side of the recpt ,hot to ground, that it tripped the GFI. WHEN I TESTED THE RECPTS -HOT TO N., THE CIRCUIT WAS FINE. WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM?

roger willis

Re: Tripping GFI

That's the way I used to test my GFI's is with my Wiggy. (Hot to Ground)To see if they tripped. I never could figure out why people had to go out and buy a GFI tester when they probably already had one in their pouch.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Roger,
The only reason to use a tester or the internal test button is to great a ground fault with a current just above the GFCI trip setting of 4 to 6 mA. A wiggy will trip a 30 mA GFP and there is always the remote possibility when testing a breaker GFCI that the wrong trip unit was installed by the manufacturer, or there is something wrong with the electronics in the receptacle that lets it trip at a higher fault current and not at the required trip point.
Don

brian john

Roger:

There are loads of reasons to USE the right test equipment for the job.

Liability for one, in a society that is prone to suing it is called CYA. Second reason to make sure the work you just performed works to SPEC, regardless of the possibility of being sued.
Third safety for your customer.Fourth makes it easier to sleep at night's.

bennie

Esteemed Member

By using the internal test there is a 15K resistor across the line to neutral. An external tester applies the resistor from the line to the ground.

The trip current is limited to 8 ma maximum, according to Mr.Ohm.

wayne123

Thanks guys! I have never tested a GFI that way before. I have always used a plug tester to check. What you are saying is that the meter will induce a ground fault voltage on the GFI and make it trip. I learn something everyday on this site!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Wayne,
What you are saying is that the meter will induce a ground fault voltage on the GFI and make it trip.
A meter will not trip a GFCI as it does not pull enough current. It takes a solenoid voltage tester (wiggy) to cause enough current to flow to trip the GFCI.
Don

bennie

Esteemed Member

Remember, testing a GFCI by any means only verifies its past status. There is no assurance of the present condition.

There will be a time, in the lifespan of all GFCIs, when the trip test is the last one before failure. From that time until the next test the status of the device is unknown.

I want more intrinsic positive indication of proper operation.

wayne123

Thats why I have never tripped one like that before, I was borrowing someones wiggy to test it. In the past I have always used a Fluke 83 DMM to check for voltage.

roger willis

All points well taken. Very good answers. Now if we could just get everyone in the field to apply some of the knowledge that we have in this forum things would be much better.
I'm a master electrician and it seems like the older I get the less knowledge I have, but that's what I have always liked about this trade, you never know it all. There is always more to learn.
I love it. And this is a great forum.
Roger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.