Troffer Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

I have a customer with 2x4 troffers in their office. They are T12 4-lamp prismatic type.

I would like to propose replacing them with T8 3-lamp parabolic type.

1. Do you think the added cost for the parabolic type would be a good investment as compared to the prismatic type?

2. Is it fair to say that a T8 3-lamp troffer will be comparable in light output to a T12 4-lamp troffer?

3. Does one hour per fixture for removal and replacement sound reasonable?

4. Would it be in the customer's best interest to repair their existing troffers?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess that would depend on how many you are talking about. If it is just a few I would definitely upgrade to T8 but I would still use 4 tube fixtures. They can always keep a bulb out and they will still work. My guess is the 3 tubers cost more than the 4 tube fixtures.

ultramegabob

Dennis Alwon said:
I guess that would depend on how many you are talking about. If it is just a few I would definitely upgrade to T8 but I would still use 4 tube fixtures. They can always keep a bulb out and they will still work. My guess is the 3 tubers cost more than the 4 tube fixtures.

I got a quote a few weeks back on 50 2X4 fixtures with lamps, had them quote both 3 lamp and 4 lamp versions, the price was the same either way.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ultramegabob said:
I got a quote a few weeks back on 50 2X4 fixtures with lamps, had them quote both 3 lamp and 4 lamp versions, the price was the same either way.
It's a conspiracy. The power company pays for the extra tube and recoups via the electric bill.

Ragin Cajun

You really need to have the photometrics for the proposed fixture(s). You also need to know what light level you are trying to design the system to.
Then with this information, do a standard IES lighting calculation. Don't guess at it!

RC

shockin

Why replace them? Why don't you look into the Lithonia "Realize Relight" option. You can take use the shell from your existing fixture and replace the guts so it can accept T5 or T8 lamps. I believe the finish produt looks like an Avante type fixture. You don't even have to take the fixture down to install it.

HighWirey

Ragin Cajun said:
You really need to have the photometrics for the proposed fixture(s). You also need to know what light level you are trying to design the system to.
Then with this information, do a standard IES lighting calculation. Don't guess at it! RC

Yes, it certaintly depends on the quantity of fixtures (size of the project).

I do not understand why posters ask for advice from members about engineering subjects. Inquire of your appropriate vendor's sales engineer. That is what they get paid for, and most of them do not bite.

A rhetorical question here: suppose that your 'sales engineer' doesn't want to 'mess with you'? So you used an 'on-line' calculator', you purchase what you 'calculated', and your project fails (for whatever reason). You then become the 'engineer-of-record'.

Who will bail you out? Can you afford that hit". Not in my orbit . . .

Perhaps it is time to speak to your insurance agent.

Best Wishes Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.