Trouble picking a box for double gang lighting controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeleses

Hello:

I have an odd situation where I want to install conduit in an unfinished basement with concrete walls, just to protect the wires going up a wall about 2-3 feet to the ceiling. Also, my primary expertise is in low voltage / alarm, not residential electric.

I'm using two Levition X-10 home lighting controls in a double gang grey PCV box right now. I used 3/4" grey PVC conduit to go up the wall.

Here's the problem. One of two the older Leviton switches went bad, and the new one has five wires instead of the two wires the old one had. Now, all those wires won't fit inside the grey Carlon double gang box! For a reason I don't understand, Carlon does not appear to make these boxes any deeper than the one size you can get at Home Depot.

I spent a long time in the Depot looking at different boxes that would have more cubic inches inside them, with no luck so far. I don't want to use a mud ring to extend a 4" box if I can avoid it, because it is going to look terrible on an unfinished wall. I got some red dot boxes to try, but I'm not convinced they will have enough space in them either. I thought about putting each switch in it's own single gang grey PVC box, but again that will look terrible!

The Leviton home lighting controls are quite large, wide, and deep, and need a deep box to fit in there correctly. I need something they would fit in that is double gang. I also know from learning the hard way that many devices will not fit in a double gang box side by side if there is conduit coming into the center hole of the box unless you have a mud ring extender on there the devices hit the conduit!

Lastly, technically, are you allowed by NEC and common practice to mix PVC conduit and metal boxes? (I understand the grounding issues with having to make sure the metal box is properly grounded in a situation like this.)

Is there a simple solution I am overlooking for a deep double gang box that will work in an unfinished wall application with conduit? (!)

Thank You,

Lee B.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A 2-5/8" deep bell box, perhaps.

Don't know what depth you have now... or type. Assuming an FS/FD type, Carlon's online catalog shows 2" depth.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How deep is the box you have? They do make extensions for the metallic bell boxes so I assume they make them for the nonmetallic ones.

Taymac makes a 2 gang but it is metallic. It should work

de000_lg.jpg

mcclary's electrical

Hello:

I have an odd situation where I want to install conduit in an unfinished basement with concrete walls, just to protect the wires going up a wall about 2-3 feet to the ceiling. Also, my primary expertise is in low voltage / alarm, not residential electric.

I'm using two Levition X-10 home lighting controls in a double gang grey PCV box right now. I used 3/4" grey PVC conduit to go up the wall.

Here's the problem. One of two the older Leviton switches went bad, and the new one has five wires instead of the two wires the old one had. Now, all those wires won't fit inside the grey Carlon double gang box! For a reason I don't understand, Carlon does not appear to make these boxes any deeper than the one size you can get at Home Depot.

I spent a long time in the Depot looking at different boxes that would have more cubic inches inside them, with no luck so far. I don't want to use a mud ring to extend a 4" box if I can avoid it, because it is going to look terrible on an unfinished wall. I got some red dot boxes to try, but I'm not convinced they will have enough space in them either. I thought about putting each switch in it's own single gang grey PVC box, but again that will look terrible!

The Leviton home lighting controls are quite large, wide, and deep, and need a deep box to fit in there correctly. I need something they would fit in that is double gang. I also know from learning the hard way that many devices will not fit in a double gang box side by side if there is conduit coming into the center hole of the box unless you have a mud ring extender on there the devices hit the conduit!

Lastly, technically, are you allowed by NEC and common practice to mix PVC conduit and metal boxes? (I understand the grounding issues with having to make sure the metal box is properly grounded in a situation like this.)

Is there a simple solution I am overlooking for a deep double gang box that will work in an unfinished wall application with conduit? (!)

Thank You,

Lee B.

You need a deep 4" square, with a double DECOR exposed work cover, not a mud ring. It will look professional.

leeleses

Thank you.

I think there should be a 4" square that is about 2 3/4 deep instead of the 2" deep boxes they have at Depot and Lowes.

I haven't gone to an electrical supply house and asked, it may be as simple as that.

I wanted to know a brand and part number so I could order something online, does anyone know some brands or part numbers that would work?

I found a company Kraloy that makes PVC double gang that is 2 3/4 deep, but I can't find anyplace, at least online, that they're sold!

Lee

leeleses

Hi everyone, thank you for all the good ideas.

I like the picture of the grey extension ring, and I agree Chris's idea is a good idea too.

I think I've seen boxes that are between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4" deep. The Carlon PVC is 2" deep and is just a little too small. Admittedly, I'm very picky about my box selection, depending on the application. I think I might want to stay at 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 if I can.

Is there any particular reason they call that a masonry box? I guess it's usually used to be screwed directly into concrete?

Why don't Lowes or Depot have any deep boxes at all? I guess this just does not come up that much, most of the time I guess it's just standard outlets and switches, which easily fit almost any box.

If I want to find something in the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 range, I guess I have to go to the supply house and just ask for it, huh?

Lee

Volta

Hi everyone, thank you for all the good ideas.

I like the picture of the grey extension ring, and I agree Chris's idea is a good idea too.

I think I've seen boxes that are between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4" deep. The Carlon PVC is 2" deep and is just a little too small. Admittedly, I'm very picky about my box selection, depending on the application. I think I might want to stay at 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 if I can.

Is there any particular reason they call that a masonry box? I guess it's usually used to be screwed directly into concrete?
It is made to be embedded in masonry construction, the device screw hole are within the enclosure so not to be blocked by mortar and they are squared to allow for easier fitting of bricks or blocks.
Why don't Lowes or Depot have any deep boxes at all? I guess this just does not come up that much, most of the time I guess it's just standard outlets and switches, which easily fit almost any box.
Surface boxes tend to be shallower than flush boxes, like the masonry shown. You could chisel in a masonry box if this is an interior hollow block wall and fish the cables, mortar it in, paint to match, and charge more :grin:.
If I want to find something in the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 range, I guess I have to go to the supply house and just ask for it, huh?

Lee

May not find anything better there than has been suggested here. Small junction boxes that easily accept device rings or device covers and typically only found as 2-1/8 deep max. You could add an extension ring and use a Raised Cover, but I don't think that is quite the look you are hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.