Trouble with UPS power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefetaco

I had a service call today at a Dentist office. They have a 12amp APC 1200 RS power supply that feeds a 1500va Panaoramic X-ray and computer. They told me the ups kicks on sometimes when they use the X-ray. I think the X-ray shouldn't be on UPS because the load could be causing the ups problems. I recommended just leaving computer and monitor on ups and make Xray have no ups. Couldn't do amp or voltage readings because office was in use. Any input?

mxslick

Ok, we need to clarify a few things:

1: Is the Xray machine itself connected to the battery backup outlets, or just the surge protected outlets on the UPS?

2: What do you mean by "it kicks on"? Does it go to battery backup, or does it trip and shut down on overload?

If it is just going to battery backup (or online if you prefer) then it sounds like it's doing it's job. The incoming voltage is probably sagging enough to trigger the online mode. There may be a problem with the branch circuit or incoming voltage from the panel/POCO.

If it's shutting down or alarming in overload, then you need to do as you thought and just put the monitor and computer on the UPS and the Xray off of it. If they are all part of the same machine, then make sure you keep the Xray machine on the same circuit or phase as a precaution. (Possible ground loops or grounding issues.) Since you said the load is 1500va and the UPS (by it's model number) is only good for 1200va, I think you will need to separate the Xray from the computer/monitor.

As an afterthought, is the UPS rated for use with medical equipment? Perhaps one of our Code gurus could chime in and say if this set-up needs to comply with the medical equipment provisions of the Code.

Last edited:

ceb58

The X-ray machines I have dealt with have a large amp draw when the x-ray is taken, but this draw is in nanoseconds. It could be that is what is going on with your mach. it has a large amp draw which in turn causes a voltage drop. The ups is fast enough to pick up on it.

eljefetaco

Good point on UPS being sensitive. The CPU, monitor and Xray are on same UPS. What is POCO? They are all independant of each other. I'll let you know. Maybe a dedicated circuit will do.

Jim W in Tampa

For the UPS to work it must be fast. Mine at my office desk will kick on even if lights never blink. If they see anything wrong in sign wave they kick in. My bet is the load is to large for such a small ups

Status
Not open for further replies.