Troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Was something external to the circuit involved? A possible screwy backfeed situation....
Like a two-120 to one-240 convertor with one side plugged into the switched receptacle?
So mjf, are you saying that the single switch was wired to three separate switched halves of duplex receptacles?
One receptacle with an internal defect could power all three.
Were tabs removed on the neutral side too?

Like a two-120 to one-240 convertor with one side plugged into the switched receptacle?
So mjf, are you saying that the single switch was wired to three separate switched halves of duplex receptacles?
One receptacle with an internal defect could power all three.
Were tabs removed on the neutral side too?

Nothing plugged into the circuit.

Yes, power originated in the switchbox and a 3 wire (correctly wired) runs from the switch to rec #1 to rec #2 to rec #3.

Pigtails (where applicable) for all neutrals, so, no neutral tabs were broken.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Methodical troubleshooting would lead me to ohm out the unpowered circuit while removing receptacles.
If the connection to hot remained on the switched wire side with all receptacles removed, that leaves the wire.
Damaged three plus ground NM?

7:45 on my clock

The dang nam long a$$ screws that came with the fancy-schmansy cover plates were the culprit. They were somehow internally connecting the top and bottom halves of the duplexes.

When I finally found out, I cut the screws shorter, installed 3 more new receptacles (incase the ones I'd just installed were damaged) and PRESTO!!!

Just figured I'd share incase one of you runs across something similar you might save some time.

These were standard duplexes (single center screw) not decora style and the cover plate screws were about 1 inch long. I cut them down to about 1/2 inch and all is well.

Additional info: Of course, it's a spare room and the homeowners had no clue how many of the receptacles were supposed to work off of the switch or when they stopped working properly.

Last edited:

John120/240

7:45 on my clock

The dang nam long a$$ screws that came with the fancy-schmansy cover plates were the culprit. They were somehow internally connecting the top and bottom halves of the duplexes.

When I finally found out, I cut the screws shorter, installed 3 more new receptacles (incase the ones I'd just installed were damaged) and PRESTO!!!

Just figured I'd share incase one of you runs across something similar you might save some time.

These were standard duplexes (single center screw) not decora style and the cover plate screws were about 1 inch long. I cut them down to about 1/2 inch and all is well.

That doesn't make any sense to me ? Does it make sense to any body else ? If the center cover plate screw is the culprit, wouldn't the screw be hot w/120 V ?

That doesn't make any sense to me ? Does it make sense to any body else ? If the center cover plate screw is the culprit, wouldn't the screw be hot w/120 V ?

It must have been 120v hot. I've never tested a cover plate screw for voltage and didn't this time either.

After exhausting all other possibilities with no power to the circuit I checked for continuity in the switch box between the black and red from the 3 wire cable. I started at each receptacle. first just removing the cover plate, checking, then the screws holding the device to the box, check again.

As soon as I removed the 3rd cover plate screw continuity was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.