Troubleshooting fuel pump circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings group
We have a fuel pump circuit that occasionally trips the breaker, the breaker has been replaced.
The circuit ammeters fine when were there, and of course does not trip again till after we leave.
The trips seem to happen randomly and one was reported at night after the station was closed, this makes me suspect the underground.
Its not a very long circuit it goes from a dog house underground to the next fuel island over.

My next thought is to pull the disconnect for that island (or possibly the whole place), disconnect the pump and breaker and do a quick megger the circuit to verify the underground wiring is ok.
Are there any extra safety precautions / best practices to take when testing underground cables at a gas station ?
I imagine the megger can be set to the lowest setting like 500V as they are just 120V circuits.
Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could try the light-bulb trouble-shooting tip. Read this thread:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
You cold try the light-bulb experiment. Read this thread:

Thanks Larry, great idea.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The update is my co-worker stopped by there and meggered the circuit and he thinks he got .045 meg ohms or .145 megohm, either way seems a bit low and thats not even correcting to 20C

Status
Not open for further replies.