Troughs for residential electrical wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinLacy

New User
Occupation
Software Developer
New home construction 50 miles south of Houston, "high voltage" (120/240VAC) rough-in starts in about a month. The house has a closed/unvented/insulated crawlspace over a slab foundation (which is very unusual in this area). The slab floor is about 18" above natural ground, so it's kinda like having an above grade basement with a 3' ceiling height. Plumbing and electrical will go in the crawlspace, but HVAC will go in the conditioned attic. All floor joists are I-joists, and they all run in the same direction.

I want all of the wiring to be organized. There are a lot of LV cable management systems (trays, raceways, hooks, etc., which I plan to use), but I haven't been able to find anything for electrical wiring. All electrical wiring will be romex (12ga or larger). No armored shielding, no conduits. I would like to have four or five strategically placed "open top" troughs/raceways for home runs to the load center that will run perpendicular to the I-joists and hang from the bottom of the I-joists. When the wire for a circuit gets to the joist space that contains the first box on a circuit, the wire will come out of the raceway and run parallel with the joists until it gets beneath the wall that contains the box. I would like to use j-hooks screwed to the I-joist webbing for the runs that are parallel to the joists, and use the pre-punched knockouts in the webbing when going from box to box on a circuit on a wall that is perpendicular to the joists.

I know there are a lot of options for doing the above for LV wiring (which I plan on doing), but I haven't found any that specifically say they can be used for residential electrical wiring (non-LV). Does this stuff exist for non-LV residential wiring? Links appreciated.

Thanks.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.