True RMS & Averaging very different readings

POLISHBEER

New User
Occupation
Technician
Hi,

I'm a technician for an air compressor company. A customer had me look at a 55KW VFD compressor that has been faulting out. Fault code corresponds to missing phase.

He swears they have good power. Fuses tested good at disconnect.

The following readings are taken with our load completely disconnected from incoming power and readings were taken ABOVE Z the fuses so it's just their BUS power to their disconnect l.

My Fluke reads the following:
L1-L2=337v
L2-L3=337v
L3-L1=470v

L1-G=467v
L2-G=110v
L3-G=470v

The customer had a Klein DMM not listed as RMS

His meter saw:

L1-L2=0v
L2-L3=0v
L3-L1=470v

He then got his equipment guy over with his KLEIN DMM and repeated the same results as his KLEIN got.

I think it is grounded B phase and I think there's a problem with their BUS/BUS fuses

He claimed my Fluke was broken so I got my other fluke 87 a Greenlee RMS and a Menard's RMS meter and all of them repeated my weird readings.

Please help me understand what's going on with their power and why do or meters read so differently?

Thanks

Jordan

synchro

Occupation
EE
The L3-L1 voltage readings are the same with both meters.

Just a guess, but perhapsthe L2 phase is open and the transformer secondary is ungrounded. And the readings on the Klein might be lower because the transformer secondary is ungrounded and the input impedance of the Klein meter is lower.
I just see that Don suspects the same thing.

I suggest having both a Klein and a Fluke put across the terminals at the same time and see if the results are the same. And then perhaps the Fluke will read close to the original Klein measurements

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As others have alluded to, this does not sound like a RMS vs average meter issue but rather a high impedance vs low impedance meter issue.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The L3-L1 voltage readings are the same with both meters.

Just a guess, but perhapsthe L2 phase is open and the transformer secondary is ungrounded. And the readings on the Klein might be lower because the transformer secondary is ungrounded and the input impedance of the Klein meter is lower.
I just see that Don suspects the same thing.

I suggest having both a Klein and a Fluke put across the terminals at the same time and see if the results are the same. And then perhaps the Fluke will read close to the original Klein measurements
Yes

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
With an open switch and in ohms.
Or
We know it doesn't take a true RMS meter to read FOP across a fuse. A Wiggy would work fine.

(Leaving out any safety precautions)
Given that the disconnect is on the line side of the fuses, you can see read ohms across the open fuse, of course it would typically be more ohms than the good fuses.
However with the power on, reading more than a few millivolts across the fuse always means the fuse is open.