Truss roof and suspended ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark77

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm so glad I found such a helpful forum. Here is my first question. I have been in business 15 plus years, and do mainly residential and some commercial. I have done numerous strip malls, no problem, run in pipe/mc/and romex in stick walls where applicable. I recently took a job on an upstairs addition at a dentist's office. He is going to make a little apartment/conference room on the second floor (which was basically set up for this when the building was constructed originally). It is a totally wood frame building with wooden trusses at 12'. The owner inisted on a suspended (drop tile) ceiling at 9'. Without even thinking, my guys ran romex through the walls, and also on throught the wooden trusses. So the romex is laying on the top side of the lowes 2x4 of the truss, about 3' away from where the suspended ceiling is going to be. Then from there we are going to mount 4" squares on the wood and drop MC cable down to the cans, fans, and anything in the drop ceiling area. We were turned down (which is rare) because the inspector says it must all be MC above the ceiling even if it never touches the metal and runs through the trusses. Does that sound right? Like I said, hey, a metal building where the only thing above the drop ceiling is metal, yeah, all mc or pipe, but to me, this is like running the romex in an attic above the drop ceiling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Read art. 334.12(A)(2)

Nm cable may not be exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one and two family and multi family dwellings.

Status
Not open for further replies.