TSE NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecker

Does any one have any current information on what if any thing NEC is doing in regard to TSE (Truck Stop Electrification) I've done searches here and elsewhere and can't find anything more current than the January 2005 EPA effort which posted the comments from responders to its issues questionaire.

Ecker

bphgravity said:
Can you explain what TSE is exactly? I have never heard of this term or system. :?:

It has a fairly long history. It comes under the EPA's Smartway Transport Partnership The basic notion is that the idling of trucks consumes millions of gallons of fuel and adds significantly to air pollution thus the involvement/lead of EPA. The notion is to electrify truck stops, rest areas and similar spots where trucks sit and idle especially along main corridors across US. Because of just-in time inventory practices more trucks are positioning themselves closer to population areas and thus increasing concerns. This took on further new urgency with the recent release of new regulations regarding the manner in which truckers can drive and the amount of layover time. These new regulations are expected to increase idle time significantly. There have been some demo projects in place - one on NY Thruway near Syracuse, and others, that essentially give a power pedestal at each truck spot which the trucker connects to to get power for ac, tv, kitchen, etc. There is an ATM like device that he uses to pay for a certain amount of power usage. The EPA put out a questionnaire in 2004 and reported back comments in January 2005 from a dozen or so responders. The questions raised by the EPA focused on how the trucks electrical internal power was to managed as well as what would be supplied externally from the pedestals i.e. voltages/amps etc. As you might expect the responses varied all over the map from like 120/240 to 208 or 30 amp vs 50,etc. It was pointed out by some that it would be necessary to be able to allow truckers to use std home appliances so voltages must be compatible to this need.

Many of the responses stated a need for NEC to get involved.

One last item was that one or more responders raised the question of RV's using these. It is quite common and the practice is growing of RV's using truck stops to sleepover; thus the power would need to be compatible. No RV manufaturers responded to the questionnaire.

I can find information on EPA site but not really anything about involvement of std setting groups, etc. It all most appears dead but yet one ses little blurbs now and again talking about a small project here or there.

Status
Not open for further replies.