TV Height from floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sound

Here is a question for you folks out there as it relates to a LV installation of coax wiring and tvs.

What does the code say about the min. height or distance required to the bottom of a TV set that is hung on a TV mount with the pipe that extends up and is secured to the unistrut in the ceiling. Commercial space.

Building inspector said 90" to the bottom of the tray that holds the TVs. When he was shown the units that hang below drop tile which can't get higher then say 78 to 80" he reversed himself and said he would allow those as they are in the corners of the room.

What does the NEC say about height to TVs?

Thanks.

msd

Re: TV Height from floor

As a major CCTV contractor for most retail chains in CA, I can assure you that there is no code issue. Perhaps a diplomatic request for a code section referance is in order. Personal preferance is not enforcable.

Walmart, seven-eleven, circle k, albertsons are all good examples of low hanging monitors.

hurk27

While I can not see any code that would be of use to this, It would be a very good design rule that would enhance safety from a head injury. I have seen where many of these mounts have very sharp corners that could inflict a very bad cut if struck hard. With that it would be of good advice to make sure they are mounted high enough when installed over aisles, or a law suit could happen. when over shelving I don't see a problem.

iwire

Staff member

As has been pointed out this is not a NEC issue.

However it is (at least in some areas) a building code issue.

Ryan J has brought this up before when we where talking about wall sconce heights.

The building code he brought up stated something like projections more than 4" (?) from the wall have to be above a certain height.

I suggest you check your local building code. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.